Infection Via Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zwickle Please explain the "no sample at all" methode .

Pumpy :)
howdy homebrewers,

instead of using an ordinary airlock, Im gonna lead the gas outside the fridge into a bottle filled with water:

2150.JPG

this way I can visualize the gas much better than using an ordinary airlock.

2875.JPG

At the end of fermentation, one can see the bubbling is gonna change from continuous into intermittent.
As soon as the bubbling to pause rate reaches 1:4 is it time for racking. Thats just from experience.

Cheers mates :icon_cheers:

howdy homebrewers,

instead of using an ordinary airlock, Im gonna lead the gas outside the fridge into a bottle filled with water:

2150.JPG

2875.JPG

At the end of fermentation, one can see the bubbling is gonna change from continuous into intermittent.
As soon as the bubbling to pause rate reaches 1:4 is it time for racking. Thats just from experience.

See how F------ simple it is :blink:

howdy homebrewers,

2150.JPG

2875.JPG

Lol, thats pretty much what i do too...
But i have 8mm clear plastic hose running into 1.25l coke bottles half filled with water...
I believe i started doing that back when my 3rd batch of K+K blew all the water out of the standard airlock..
And i just kept doing it this way... :p
The only issue is when you tap off and forget about the coke bottle and draw 1/2 a litre of water into the brew..
But you only do it once..(sober) (3 times when drunk)

Actually just to put my 2 cents in i would be more worried about an airbourne infection or similar from the air drawn in through the air lock hole rather than the gunk from the tap crawling back up...

Sqyre... ;)

EDIT: Spelling

Lol, thats pretty much what i do too...
But i have 8mm clear plastic hose running into 1.25l coke bottles half filled with water...
Im using a 4mm hose with a cannula at the end to get finer bubbles

The only issue is when you tap off and forget about the coke bottle and draw 1/2 a litre of water into the brew..

to avoid that, Im using a one-way valve, somewhere between the line:

2877.JPG

:icon_cheers:

Bloody hell Zwickel, I reckon their are organ transplants that aren't as sterile and professional as your brewing methodologies :blink:

Actually just to put my 2 cents in i would be more worried about an airbourne infection or similar from the air drawn in through the air lock hole rather than the gunk from the tap crawling back up...
Sqyre... ;)

As established earlier in this thread, heavier liquids, containing yet-to-be-fermented sugars, settle to the bottom of the fermenter. This is ripe for the nourishment of organisms migrating through a fomite such as an inadequately sanitised tap.

On the other hand, CO2 and alcohol are more abundant in the top level thereby inhibiting growth of most organisms. Even then, wild yeasts can contaminate so it is important to observe strict aseptic techniques.

Removing the airlock and inserting a sanitised length of tubing attached to a syringe leaves no fomite to aid the transport of contaminants into the beer.

As I said, each to his own and if your hygiene is up to scratch, then RAHAHB...

WJ

:lol: VERY nice Zwickel, you have the heart of a surgeon and an answer for everything :lol: I'm building myself some stainless fermenters at present and will be doing pretty much what you have there, I hate those nasty little plastic airlocks, and my plastic fermenters. Their days are LIMITED.

howdy homebrewers,

2150.JPG

2875.JPG

:eek: :blink:

What can I say

Pumpy :)

Pumpy,

Its called a blow-off tube.

I prefer to simply loosen the lid until primary ferment has ended.

cheers

darren

Its called a blow-off tube.
for a blow-off tube the diameter of my tube would be far too small.

I gotta say, if the fermenter has a little free space on top only, or Im awaiting a vigorous fermentation, Im going to leave the outlet without any tube for the first few days, just cover it with a napkin.
One have to avoid to get Krausen into the tube.

edit: spelling

for a blow-off tube the diameter of my tube would be far too small.

I gotta say, if the fermenter has a little free space on top only, or Im awaiting a vigourous fermentation, Im going to leave the outlet without any tube for the first few days, just cover it with a napkin.
One have to avoid to get Krausen into the tube.

edit: spelling

Zwickel,

Just loosen you lid mate and forget the surgical precision that you seem to be aiming for. Once ferment has finished either rack to kegs or seal the fermenter (screw the lid shut).

No need for holes or tubes at all.

cheers

Darren

Darren, did you read the thread from begin?

The reason doing so is, to find out the right time for racking without taking samples for a hydrometer.

Once ferment has finished ....

I wont wait til fermentation has finished, Id like to fill up the kegs before fermentation has finished, just to get a naturally carbonated beer.

...or am I the one who misunderstood something? :huh:

...and forget the surgical precision that you seem to be aiming for.

sorry mate, that little tube is (said with Screwys words) "F....ing simple" and said with my own words: "its as simple as a piece of bread from Aldi" :lol:

Latest posts

Back