Infected Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom909

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got a coopers dark ale going at the moment. Its been in primary for 9 days so far and has a thick crud layer on top. It looks like the krausen that gets left on the side of the fermenter and goes all hard. Ingredients were just dark ale tin and 1kg of dark LME. Its been fermenting at abvout 17-18 degrees thw whole time. FG is at 1012 at the moment so only a few days left.

Is this thick layer normal or is a sign of infection? It smells and tastes a bit funny but they all have at this stage...

sounds like it is normal. it is probably just a bit of yeast hanging arund,some yeasts are more prone to hanging on than others but it should drop away when you crash the beer down.

Nothing to worry about mate, you should be more worried about trying to clean that crap off when you have bottled it. (a cap of napisan to 2lt boiling hot water fill up the rest with water leave it for 2 or 3 hours crap gone ;) )

Nothing to worry about mate, you should be more worried about trying to clean that crap off when you have bottled it. (a cap of napisan to 2lt boiling hot water fill up the rest with water leave it for 2 or 3 hours crap gone ;) )

I find the easiest way is to take it outside with a multi function hose head on 'jet'. Makes short work of it.

I had a similar sounding on my most recent brew. Tasted fine and bottled fine until the last few where a bit got sucked in. If yours is the same im guessing its just yeast.

Don't worry about it pretty normal (especially for darker beers)
a photo would help though

Thanks guys, sounds like its ok. Ill take a photo tonight after work...

Latest posts

Back