Indisinct refractometer readings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Ninja

Reaction score
I brew kits and fresh wort kits and have started using a refractometer for taking the OG and FG.

I'm finding the readings hard to pin down. There isn't a crisp line between the blue and white areas which would indicate the reading, more of a gradiation of the blue and white. This indistinctness can easily cover the area of a whole number i.e all the area between eleven and twelve brix.

Looking at others results on YouTube, I was expecting clearer readings.

If i use water I get a correct reading of zero and a crisp line, no problem.

Any advice appreciated.

I guess you've focussed it? Mine gets a clean reading. Also not much good for your fg readings. You need a mathmatical formular to get close to correct, I cant be bothered with that. I only use the refractometer for pre ferment readings.
Actually what you describe is about as acurate as reading a hydrometer. Its pretty hard to disdinguish down to that last digit accuracy.

edit: oops you said brix sorry. Yeah that is a poor reading if its that blurry.

Try letting your sample settle a bit. Clear wort gives me a nice crisp line.

Camo6 said:
Try letting your sample settle a bit. Clear wort gives me a nice crisp line.
Good idea, I'll try that!

Danscraftbeer said:
I guess you've focussed it? Mine gets a clean reading. Also not much good for your fg readings. You need a mathmatical formular to get close to correct, I cant be bothered with that. I only use the refractometer for pre ferment readings.
Actually what you describe is about as acurate as reading a hydrometer. Its pretty hard to disdinguish down to that last digit accuracy.

edit: oops you said brix sorry. Yeah that is a poor reading if its that blurry.
Yep, I focused it. Re hard to see hydrometer readings, that's why I got the refractometer. The irony :huh:

You know about the need to correct for the presence of alcohol? Separate issue but very common.

manticle said:
You know about thet need to correct for the presencte of alcohol? Separate issue but very common.
I'm using the excel sheet formulated by (I think) Gino - this one: Printable___2008_07_03_Refractometer_Chart___During_Fermentation___Brix_to_SG

There are separate areas of the sheet for OG and for FG taken during/after fermentation

I found my refrac could be a bit fuzzy if I had too much or not enough wort on the little screen. Experiment with the quantity a bit. (Sorry I cant remember if it was too much or little I was putting on it.)

I just stuffed up my cheapo refractometer. It only accidently just got a brief small splash of water on it and I dried it instantly. But a moisture blur inside it so what do I do? I tediously dissasemble it and clean the lenses?? -_- Its stuffed. Cheapo plastic shit.
Just felt like sharing that.. :chug:

Danscraftbeer said:
I just stuffed up my cheapo refractometer. It only accidently just got a brief small splash of water on it and I dried it instantly. But a moisture blur inside it so what do I do? I tediously dissasemble it and clean the lenses?? -_- Its stuffed. Cheapo plastic shit.
Just felt like sharing that.. :chug:
Bet you order another! :lol:

Well yeah I do want another one. It served its purpose in a learning curve enough for me to do without it actually. I want a better one now though. Its such a cool and handy tool.

Danscraftbeer said:
Well yeah I do want another one. It served its purpose in a learning curve enough for me to do without it actually. I want a better one now though. Its such a cool and handy tool.
I saw a digital refractometer today on YouTube. Nice!

Danscraftbeer said:
How much?
It Didn't have a price, I was looking to see the clarity of readings others were getting. Just had a quick look on ebay, there is some cheap digital stuff on offer from China. Which brings us back to mine, and presumably your, refractometer :D

I found today when using mine if i was standing in full sun i couldnt make out the reading in the shade but looking into the light gave a crisp clean line

I find my refractometer nearly impossible to read under light from a flouro or a bulb. Are you using natural light? And as crowmanz has said, I need to move around a bit to get the right angle of light to get a clear line.

crowmanz said:
I found today when using mine if i was standing in full sun i couldnt make out the reading in the shade but looking into the light gave a crisp clean line
Yes, I've tried looking out into sunlight and back inside. It did make a difference but the best reading I had was still very indistinct.

Wapehawi said:
I find my refractometer nearly impossible to read under light from a flouro or a bulb. Are you using natural light? And as crowmanz has said, I need to move around a bit to get the right angle of light to get a clear line.
Yes, natural light (daytime)

Camo6 suggested letting the sample settle before testing, and that gave a much more distinct reading. Thing is it took a couple of hours. A bit of a pain when checking FG with a view to bottling and time is tight.

I use my refractometer for measuring OG but prefer a hydrometer for FG. Means you get to sample the beer too.

Back