Increasing Fridge Size By Removing Barrier?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstacey

Reaction score
Hi All,
Has anyone tried increasing the size of their conditioning/kegging fridge by removing the barrier between fridge and freezer in the two door models? (of course keeping the outside slat in place so the doors still close and seal)

As I understand the fridge and freezer are cooled from the one thermostat, so it should be possible to run the whole area as one big fridge with more room for fermenters, etc.

Are there any electrics in there or just insulating foam?

Any ideas?

Cheers, SPS.

Hi All,
Has anyone tried increasing the size of their conditioning/kegging fridge by removing the barrier between fridge and freezer in the two door models? (of course keeping the outside slat in place so the doors still close and seal)

As I understand the fridge and freezer are cooled from the one thermostat, so it should be possible to run the whole area as one big fridge with more room for fermenters, etc.

Are there any electrics in there or just insulating foam?

Any ideas?

Cheers, SPS.

There is a thread buried away here someplace,it was done by a brewer,he posted a few pics as well.
I am hopeless at searching for such things,good luck.

Batz

Thanks Batz,
I didn't see it before but searched again and I think this is it:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...ic=8159&hl=

I think I'll try unscrewing the section first and remove the foam before hitting it with a saw. That way I'll know if there are any pipes or wires before I hack into it. I think I'd also open up the space a bit more so there is room for a conditioning tank to fit in.

It also means that I can fit the beer taps a little higher (into the top door) without freezing the beer lines.

That really opens up more possibilities if I can fit more stuff into the one fridge.

Cheers! :party:

Well done! :beerbang:
That's the post..and my old mate Jason too! :p

Batz

can't be bothered posting pics of my fridge, but it's a bar fridge. went to work with the old hacksaw.. she'll be right mate :)

My guess would be that if there is insulation, there are probably no evaporator lines there and your model uses a duct instead.

Most fridge-freezers that I've seen though have evaporator coils that run right around the freezer section with a drip tray underneath, so I don't think this is a mod that most people could do.

if its a frost free jobby then you're asking for trouble.

If is a cyclic defrost then you "should" be ok.

Add appropriate disclaimer here.

if its a frost free jobby then you're asking for trouble.

If is a cyclic defrost then you "should" be ok.

Add appropriate disclaimer here.

Timmy,
What's wrong with using a frost free?

Latest posts

Back