In An Ipa Mood

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree wholeheartedly mate. They're BOTH yummy.

jez

I've seen it at DM's a few time's but it's not always there. Can't go past White Shield IPA, next would be the Icon 2IPA, if you can get the Icon, drink it now while it's still fresh. I drank my two over a month ago and I can still taste the hops.

it's a classic APA, not an IPA. not dark enough or enough roast/choc/coffee/complex notes for an IPA. just a lot of hops, so a classic APA.

if youre after a good IPA, try Dogfish Head's or a good English one...

Since when is an IPA, American or English supposed to have roast, chocolate or coffee notes?????

Dan Murphy's USED to stock Emersons delicious IPA but alas, no longer.
Are you talking about the Emersons 1812 IPA? I must have got a bad one cause the one I had was NOT what I'd consider an IPA. Hops were subdued, it was sweet, not bitter at all... It wasn't a bad beer, but it wasn't an IPA in my book.

Best IPA I've had to date is Murrays Icon 2IPA. Mmmmmm... Delicious.

No its not and no it hasn't. it's got a similar hop presence to Little Ceatures basically.
Would you call THAT an IPA too?
jez

Compared to "Greene King IPA" yes i would. Errrr have you have LCPA recently? :lol: Its NOTHING like Alpha in its nose or palate. An no, its not aggressive it lacks in everything i remember from LCPA and about 15 bucks more a carton!

it's a classic APA, not an IPA. not dark enough or enough roast/choc/coffee/complex notes for an IPA. just a lot of hops, so a classic APA.
Since when is an IPA, American or English supposed to have roast, chocolate or coffee notes?????

Thats what i was wondering!

I bought one of the Rogue new release Yellow Snow IPA's tonight.. for a 70 IBU single hop all Amarillo beer, I'm liking it. Melons and fruit on the nose, full hoppiness across the palate and a nice body that is well in balance. Long smooth lingering hop bitterness on the mid palate at the finish
Not everyone's cup of tea, but I bet 4* loves it...

Hey Schooey, Yellow Snow IPA is quite good and yep i like it! Quite a tasty beer and an 'ok' example of an AIPA.

To be quite honest, an AIPA to me is a beer thats intensely hopped, is all about the hops and coupled with some supporting malt. an APA is a balanced, slighlty moreso to hops with a complex malt structure t help balance it out. Its not just base malt + butcktes of hops, you leave that for an AIPA! ;) As i stated earlier i would put Alpha pale in an APA/AIPA crossover purely due to its intense hop characteristics. Comparing it to Sierra Nevada, which is the benchmark for an APA they are rather different, especially its malt profile/balance. SNPA it not aggressive as Alpha Pale. Yep, i said it! :D

Either way they are both great beers and at the end of thne day i'd bet if you copped a bottle of Alpha Pale in an AIPA category for judging, you'd still give it a kickass score as an AIPA.

Not a chance you'll find in a Dan's but I'd recommend the Hercules Double IPA. It's an American brew so likely difficult to find here but it is probably the single most intense beer I've ever had the pleasure to consume.

As far as reasonably easy-to-come-by IPA goes, I swear i've seen Jamiesons Beast IPA in Dan Murphy's?

English-style IPA seems reasonably easy to come by these days, with the likes of Greene King, White Shield and Caladonian Deuchars ipa go, but these really represent something more like an English bitter than an IPA. If you can get your hands on something like Samuel Smiths or Meantime IPA, that's probably a step in the right direction as far as English IPA goes.

After reading this thread I headed down to the local Dans and for the life of me I could find nothing that resembles a genuine IPA. Pretty disappointing really. The best options were Gage Roads IPA and James Squire IPA. Both great beers but not what I really had in mind...

After reading this thread I headed down to the local Dans and for the life of me I could find nothing that resembles a genuine IPA. Pretty disappointing really. The best options were Gage Roads IPA and James Squire IPA. Both great beers but not what I really had in mind...

Both taste like ESBs to me.....

I quite like Steam Exchange and Lobethal Bierhaus IPAs.

English, malt driven but with a good whack of bitterness.

Haven't seen them at a bottle shop so cant help there.

I brew my IPAs with them in mind.

Dare I say it but I reckon there would be a fair difference between an American Indian and a Pommie Indian.

Dare I say it but I reckon there would be a fair difference between an American Indian and a Pommie Indian.
Traditionally, for sure. Just like how American and Pommy pales ales are different and Barley wines are different.
It's not just a matter of hops, in most cases a Pommy ale is very much about showcasing malt complexity and a characterful yeasts. Whereas most American style ales will have a very clean, often quite attenuative yeast which really doesn't give the malt much of a chance to shine through to begin, and really makes the need for a complex malt bill not as important.
Of course, this seems to be a reason why we see American Amber and Brown ales, and yet British pale ale/bitter will often be comparable to these styles.
I think the other very American thing is the accentuation on late hops. Lots of aroma and big zesty flavours, where there's a bit more subtlety to a British ale and generally a different sort of bitterness.

But yeah, that's traditionally, there are beers that tend to bridge the gaps between styles these days.

I've only come across the James Squires and Gages Road IPA locally. These two appear to be the standard available two. The Squires I found to be OK and purchased it more than once. I assume it would be more typical of an English than American IPA?

Both taste like ESBs to me.....

Yep I agree, particularly the Gage Roads. The JS IPA at least has quite assertive bitterness, but yeah still a bit "safe" for an IPA in my view.

Yep I agree, particularly the Gage Roads. The JS IPA at least has quite assertive bitterness, but yeah still a bit "safe" for an IPA in my view.

I remember when this beer was to bitter for me. We used the term 'hop-dick' to describe a beer we thought was too hoppy/bitter. Now amongst my friends hop-dick is a good thing.

Latest posts

Back