In An Ipa Mood

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBastard

Reaction score
Please recommend some IPA's to try. Must be available at Dan Murphys. Cheers.

Might struggle to find any decent imported IPAs at Dan Murpheys but you never know. They may stock the Emersons range (??), their IPA is a ripsnorter I reckon.

Dan Murphy's USED to stock Emersons delicious IPA but alas, no longer.

I think Matilda Bays Alpha Ale is the closest you'll get to an American Style IPA at Dan Murphy's. A very nice beer but not quite an IPA.

jez

edit - or maybe Murrays Icon 2IPA if you can find it.

Yeah my fallback plan is James Squire IPA or Matilda bay APA.

I don't know about Dan Murphy's, but picked up a Gage Roads Brewing IPA the other day at the local safeway liquor shop.

A lovely drop.

I don't know about Dan Murphy's, but picked up a Gage Roads Brewing IPA the other day at the local safeway liquor shop.

A lovely drop.

Good point, I think I have seen the Gage Roads IPA in Dan Murpheys in the past. And yes a very nice drop, but again probably a little subdued in the hopping department... Aren't many Aussie IPAs that really push the limits.

Just bought a Gage Road IPA at Dan Murphy's today to drink tomorrow, glad to hear it is a good drop.

cheers

Browndog

I was severely under-whelmed. Might have been more impressed if it didn't say IPA on it at all.

The Dans down my way have bugger all in the way of IPAs. Basically James Squires and Tui. Never been brave (desperate) enough to try the Tui.

Dan Murphy's USED to stock Emersons delicious IPA but alas, no longer.
I think Matilda Bays Alpha Ale is the closest you'll get to an American Style IPA at Dan Murphy's. A very nice beer but not quite an IPA.
jez
edit - or maybe Murrays Icon 2IPA if you can find it.

How is that not close to an IPA? Its hopped to the balls. Now i know its a 'pale ale' but its a pretty good cross over! Especially considering its got an intense hop aroma!

+1 for Murrays Icon2IPA - do yourself a favour and get to Newcastle for a glass on tap.....

Brew Dog Punk IPA if you can find it - I enjoyed this, packs a punch in the bottle - ignore the gimmicky sounding name...

Cliff

How is that not close to an IPA?

it's a classic APA, not an IPA. not dark enough or enough roast/choc/coffee/complex notes for an IPA. just a lot of hops, so a classic APA.

if youre after a good IPA, try Dogfish Head's or a good English one...

I bought one of the Rogue new release Yellow Snow IPA's tonight.. for a 70 IBU single hop all Amarillo beer, I'm liking it. Melons and fruit on the nose, full hoppiness across the palate and a nice body that is well in balance. Long smooth lingering hop bitterness on the mid palate at the finish

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I bet 4* loves it...

edit: Re the Murray's Icon; My name is Schooey, and I'm an addict... That stuff is the shit!

+1 for Murrays Icon2IPA - do yourself a favour and get to Newcastle for a glass on tap.....

Brew Dog Punk IPA if you can find it - I enjoyed this, packs a punch in the bottle - ignore the gimmicky sounding name...

Cliff

really enjoyed the punk ipa...very fruity!

I bought one of the Rogue new release Yellow Snow IPA's tonight.. for a 70 IBU single hop all Amarillo beer, I'm liking it. Melons and fruit on the nose, full hoppiness across the palate and a nice body that is well in balance. Long smooth lingering hop bitterness on the mid palate at the finish

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I bet 4* loves it...

I spent last night at the Darlo Taphouse with some AHB'ers shelling my beans over for the Rogue lineup... mmmm

I really think that IPA needs a definite and assertive bitterness, it can be smooth, but it is a defining factor.
While Alpha Pale is hoppy and relatively bitter, it is definitely an APA, and a good hoppy one at that.

I was severely under-whelmed. Might have been more impressed if it didn't say IPA on it at all.

The Dans down my way have bugger all in the way of IPAs. Basically James Squires and Tui. Never been brave (desperate) enough to try the Tui.

If you were underwhelmed by the Gage Roads then bravery won't be required for the Tui. It is shockingly bland.

Is it Dan Murphy's or First Choice that has Deuchars IPA? It's probably an example of loose naming but a decent/well-priced beer nonetheless.

Just looking at the AABC2009 Style Guidelines for American IPA and there are a few examples there I'de like to try, well all of them actually. The Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale would be a ripper I reckon, anyone tried it?

The Guidelines state for appearance,,

'Colour ranges from medium gold to medium reddish copper; some versions can have an orange-ishtint. Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy.

Malt flavour should be low to medium, and is generally

clean and malty sweet although some caramel or toasty flavours are acceptable at low levels.'

IBU range 40-70

Wouldn't Matilda Bay Alpha Ale fall into this catagory? I rather enjoyed this beer.

This is what is states on the Matilda Bay site
'Although based on traditional English India Pale Ales, the Northwest style has its own unique character one driven mostly by an assertive bitterness and a distinctive fruit and citrus aroma from the locally grown hops.'

If you were underwhelmed by the Gage Roads then bravery won't be required for the Tui. It is shockingly bland.

The bravery was referring to my willingness to drink shit beer rather than drink a big beer.

Just looking at the AABC2009 Style Guidelines for American IPA and there are a few examples there I'de like to try, well all of them actually. The Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale would be a ripper I reckon, anyone tried it?

The Guidelines state for appearance,,

'Colour ranges from medium gold to medium reddish copper; some versions can have an orange-ishtint. Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy.

Malt flavour should be low to medium, and is generally

clean and malty sweet although some caramel or toasty flavours are acceptable at low levels.'

IBU range 40-70

Wouldn't Matilda Bay Alpha Ale fall into this catagory? I rather enjoyed this beer.

This is what is states on the Matilda Bay site
'Although based on traditional English India Pale Ales, the Northwest style has its own unique character – one driven mostly by an assertive bitterness and a distinctive fruit and citrus aroma from the locally grown hops.'

I am happy to be proven wrong.
I guess I am conditioned to be biased toward larger versions.

If you can get it, the Mountain Goat American IPA is my idea of an IPA. Do they still make it?

ED: Sounds like MB are talking about Northwest WA :)

...Its hopped to the balls... its got an intense hop aroma!

No its not and no it hasn't. it's got a similar hop presence to Little Ceatures basically.

Would you call THAT an IPA too?

jez

I wouldn't call LCPA anywhere near an IPA or MBAA.
I'de call it friggin delicious. I just cashed all my shopper points in on a carton of the stuff.

Latest posts

Back