Improve my stout.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you say you boiled after steeping, do you mean you strained and boiled the liquid or did you boil the liquid together with the grains?

Strained then boiled the liquid, then mixed in fermentables and kit tin, cooled, put in fermenter and topped up with cold water.

Did you purge the contents sitting in the tap before tasting? If not basically what you put in the fermenter first is what your tasting. Generally bitterness will mellow in time, bottles anyway but keg use early I'm not sure.
Cheers

The first test tube full had a couple of floaters in it so I went back for a second go. No floaters but just as bitter as the first lot.

Bottled this tonight.

Added 250g of lactose I had in the fridge on Friday and waited a few days.

Bitterness had all but gone.

Should be good in A few weeks/months.

Pleased to here pipsyboy. As your stout gets older and matures in the bottle it gets much better. Try and "hide" say six bottles and drink one every 6 months to get an idea how its improving and make some notes. I'm currently drinking a milk stout just over 3 years in the bottle, absolutely delicious. (how do I keep them that long? brew heaps of stouts during winter and store some away).
Cheers

Latest posts

Back