Importing From The Us

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooza

Reaction score
hey all, just wondering how hard it is to get things from the states? how do you go about things like customs, who to get to ship things etc.
cheers.

I knew of a guy that used to bring over handguns in the sumps of wrecked engines.. They are "things". Is that what you want? ;)

kegging gear when there is no postage stated to aus. kegs, gas bottles, etc.

Yeah depends what you are after.
I purchased a monster mill late last year from their website with no dramas.
Normally things just pass through customs as part of their journey to you.

I have ordered a few things recently with no dramas.
I always go with reputable business though.

Cheers

Brad

Definately get a quote before you purchase.
Postage on large things like that can be a real killer and negate the benefit of the low US dollar.
Places that use Paypal are preffered to I reckon.

Cheers

There are no taxes or duties on anything under $1000.

Why this is confounds me. You think they'd at least ask for GST.

you might find postage for kegging gear is to expensive. Well depends what your after id say kegs wouldnt be cheap to post, but regs and fittings should be fine

Pretty broad question. You have the right to an accurate quote from the retailer before you order.

I'd be asking them rather than us.

Many people have ordered many things from the US with no hassles though - myself included.

Small items or no artificial market restrictions I order direct and keep under $1000 or split as mentioned.

Large or irregular shaped or artificial market restrictions I go with Price Usa as mentioned with FedEx shipping option.

What are artificial restrictions? I ordered the farms Husqvarna chain saw as Stihl and Husky charge Aussies 3 times the price as charged in the USA. I ended up with full safety gear and clothing, 60cc saw, extra chain, sharpner and a book on 2cycle and 4cycle maintenance and repair for 1/2 the Australian price. They wont ship to Australia protecting thd racket but will to Price USA who onshipped to me. warranty and repairs and exchanges are done on your beialf through the Usa locations but in extreme cases like this you can buy three and self warranty yourself that way. They get better prices for FedEx than you can.

My mate got a Stihl locally, $300 more, 2/3 the power and got a fref petrol tin to encourage the sale.

Stereo equipment is another major price rort in Australia, order up to 1/4 to 1/5 the price and run them off a power transformer from Dick Smiths.

So for heavy items consider pricing it through them.

They also can collate items into one shipment to maximize your shipping dollar.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

There are no taxes or duties on anything under $1000.

Why this is confounds me. You think they'd at least ask for GST.

Nick you are now outed as being a sock puppet for Gerry Harvey

:rolleyes:

Nick you are now outed as being a sock puppet for Gerry Harvey

:rolleyes:

Gezza himself put me on a 50Kpa retainer to spruik homebrew sites about the evils of buying stuff for half price overseas.

But now I busted.

Gezza himself put me on a 50Kpa retainer to spruik homebrew sites about the evils of buying stuff for half price overseas.

But now I busted.

Dont tell me. A popular homebrew shop gave you another 50k to keep the rhetoric alive?? Because fair trade is only so if it suits yourself. :rolleyes:

Buy Wholesale, people. And buy Taiwanese !

No affiliation, but I am a commie.

A popular homebrew shop gave you another 50k to keep the rhetoric alive??

On the contrary.

I'm currently typing this from the drippy malodorant dungeon where I'm locked underneath a Homebrew Store for my crimes against retail.

When I break out I vow to show everyone how to spend even less at the homebrew store.

I have used a package forwarder a few times but only for small computer part... Some package forwarders can be very expensive... Do you know anyone in the states that could forward stuff on for you?

When I break out I vow to show everyone how to spend even less at the homebrew store.

A bannable offence, to be sure. You either spend where you're told to, or be gone.

hey all, just wondering how hard it is to get things from the states? how do you go about things like customs, who to get to ship things etc.
cheers.

I wonder if I could get Charlie Sheen sent here, he'd be a great bloke to have a beer with.

Dude, I'll split the postage on the Warlock delivery . He's fast becoming my new hero. :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back