Immersion Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagerbrau

Reaction score
Gday lads

Any one in adelaide know were i can get an Immersion element and also the best way to set it up for use in my HLT ie themosta.

Cheers

Or you could drill a hole in the side of your HLT and mount an element from a $10 electric kettle (eg. Belle brand from Big W).

They seal well and have a plastic backing nut. I have two in my HLT and they work great, many others are using them too.

However, the above hand held element is a great addition to any brewery as it allows you to heat any vessels with it with minimal fuss. You could potentially heat your HLT, MT and boil your kettle with the one element above.

Hope it's a start. I don't think you got much of a response because there is a search button up in the top right hand corner there and this topic has been covered many, many times-with photos.

Cheers, Justin

Justin said:
You could potentially heat your HLT, MT and boil your kettle with the one element above.
[post="94381"][/post]​

This is exactly what I do with mine. Works a treat. Although, it tends to get crustified pretty quickly when boiling wort with it. Bugger to clean too, with all the nooks and crannies.

I really like the Belle kettle option. I would do it in a heartbeat (would be particularly easy for me since my hlt is a plastic pail!) except I don't like pulling apart and playing with 240v appliances - especially ones that are used in or near water! I had a look at one of those Belle kettles though the other day ($9.78!!! @ Big W) and it looks like a simple job to take apart - the rubber seal in it is quite chunky and supple too.

I emailed Tobins to enquire about their hand held immersion heater. They emailed me back with the following reply:

"Please contact the South Australian distributor for Grimwood, Charles
Cookson on 08 8240 3200."

I am yet to ring them as I went out on a bender and spent shite loads of cash, the missus has now banned me from ever seeing/touching money again!

Cheers

Yeah, they do seal surprisingly well T.D. I think off memory I may have got or made some different washers to suit but it was a while ago and I don't remember.

Mounting it in a plastic vessel would be super easy and they would seal really well because of the suppleness of the vessel wall.

My recommendation for those looking for a quick cheap electric HLT, get one of those 20L white buckets, drill and file a hole to suit the element from a kettle and mount it in. Easy to mount a ball valve in too. Something to think about. Probably best if you get one of the thicker walled buckets, I think Bunnings only has thin walled ones these days. Great grain storage buckets though :D.

Cheers, Justin

Thanks for all the advice, and for the search button will do, last time i tried i think i had problem at users end ( enjoying a brew a little to much).

Cheers and thanks for the advice

Latest posts

Back