Immersing The Cfwc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Was cooling todays Australian Strong Ale with my CFWC using my old immersion chiller as a prechiller (in an esky full of frozen PET bottles).
I was thinking about the possibility of placing my CFWC in a bucket with the connections mounted on the outside and the bucket wrapped in bubblewrap/camping mat or other insulation and filled with water and frozen containers.
Anyone already doing something similar ?

Beers,
Doc

I dont use a pump so dont use a cfwc. I use the good old immersion chiller, but when I need to get down to lager temps I have a bucket that is filled with iced water and salt with a coil running inside, inlet at the top, outlet at the bottom, running the wort through this after the immersion will drop the temp well down enough for pitching lager yeast.

Doc, I think you would be better off building a small chiller to connect post the CFWC.

If you immerse the cfwc I think the gains will be minimal as you have to chill a larger volume of water to impact on the final wort temp. With a 2m or so coil in the same ice bucket post the CFWC you would be chilling say 30degC wort much more effectively.

I am planning on doing something like this once I actually build a cfwc :)

I'm half way through building my combined CFWC / post chiller. I bought 18M of 3/8" copper tube, bent it up, and put lots of little indents in it to promote turbulance. The first half is configured as a CFWC, the second half is a bare coil that will sit in a bucket of ice. Necessary up here where the tap water temp can be so high during the day.

IMG_1060.jpg

Doc said:
Was cooling todays Australian Strong Ale with my CFWC using my old immersion chiller as a prechiller (in an esky full of frozen PET bottles).
I was thinking about the possibility of placing my CFWC in a bucket with the connections mounted on the outside and the bucket wrapped in bubblewrap/camping mat or other insulation and filled with water and frozen containers.
Anyone already doing something similar ?

Beers,
Doc
Doc,
Was thinking of trying this myself. I suspect it will work fine.
Let us know how it fares if you go down that path.
cheers
Darren

Latest posts

Back