I'm Looking Out For A Homebrewer In Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Lee

Reaction score
Hi everybody

I'm Tom Lee and I'm a home brewer from Switzerland. I finished my last grammar school year some months ago and now I want to travel the world - and learn more about beer culture

I will leave my country in 8 days and in some months I will also make a stop in Australia. There was probably now need of telling you that - however I want to ask you guys if anybody is up to show me the Aussie way of brewing. I haven't much heard about your brewing methods yet (I think it's the English way) and I haven't drunk anything else than Forster, but I'm very open for new experience.

I will be in Melbourne from the 6th of December until the 21th (The rest of my 2 month long stay is travelling around) at a friend's house. I hope someone is interested to share some experience.

Just a short overview about my "brewery":

After brewing a year in a common 20 litre pot, I changed to an old washing machine (it's about 80 years or even more old)

dsc06097x.jpg

My beer is called "RedLee" and I brew over 6 different types of beer regularly. Most of them are less hopped and usually less than 5% Alcohol. That's the way we like our beer (and cold of course).
4527_92147606335_92031406335_2381666_1032311_n.jpg

If someone is interested don't hesitate to respond to my thread. I'll try to give you an answer as good as I can. If someone can speak German he may want to visit my page: http:\\www.redlee.ch.vu (it's still a Beta-Version but it won't be finished until my return in late January)

Kind regards from Switzerland (the place where it snows at the moment)
Tom

Edit: I tried to make the images smaller but I didn't get it

G'day
plenty of brewers in Melbourne that will no doubt be happy to catch up with u and show u some of our brewing. A lot of people use a variety of methods including Brewing in a Bag. Plenty of good places serving micro brewery beer as well. Welcome to the AHB forum

Yeah I am sure plenty of us would be more than happy to have some one tag along on a brew day. Any ideas on where about you are planning on staying while in Melbourne - brewers are scattered all over the place so it might help you to find someone that you don't have to travel to far to get to.

As cm2 said - plenty of good microbreweries and pubs to help induct you into some of the better beers that we like drinking here.

Cheers

Brendo

I forgot to mention... Please don't judge us on fosters. We can't even get the stuff here. No one drank it cause it was awful so they now produce it fir the overseas market.

Plenty of good places serving micro brewery beer as well. Welcome to the AHB forum

It's not the same over here. You can only choose between Carlsberg and Heineken...thx

Any ideas on where about you are planning on staying while in Melbourne - brewers are scattered all over the place so it might help you to find someone that you don't have to travel to far to get to.

I'm going to stay in Moonee Ponds. It probably says more to you than it does to me :)

I forgot to mention... Please don't judge us on fosters. We can't even get the stuff here. No one drank it cause it was awful so they now produce it fir the overseas market.

They produce those kinds of undrinkable beers all over the world. Our forster is called Feldschlsschen. It has alcohol, it's cheap and that's all.

Great beer shop right near Moonee Ponds that sells literally hundreds of beers. It's on Albion Street/Primrose street corner in Essondon which is the next suburb along.

Bump this thread when you're in town. You could watch one of my brewdays if you need something to laugh at.

Hey Tom Lee

I'm located in Melbourne and if you wanna, would deffinetly be up to showing you some areas of Melbourne where there are some great Aussie beers available, on the brewing side I'd be glad to do a small batch that you can take with you or share with mates.

Cheers

Aaron

Feldschlossen, magnificent brewery that looks like something out of Lord of the Rings. Sad about the beer, though. Also you will find that Fosters is not at all popular in Australia. It used to be a popular bottled and canned beer, but then they put it on tap and everyone realised it was no different to the other mega-swill beers so stopped drinking it and didn't even bother buying the bottled variety anymore. Some bottle shops don't even stock it nowadays.

Don't worry, there are some really good beers in Melbourne.

feldschlossen.jpg

You could go along to one of the grain and grape days all grain brewing demonstrations in yarraville.

If you're interested in a club, Westgate Brewers or the Inner Circle Breweers could be a good start.

I have a mate in Moony Ponds who's an avid brewer (he got me started years ago) - send me a PM if you want to hook up!

Andy

Thanks a lot for all this interesting offers. Best would fit a small home brewery in my class. That would mean around 10 to 60 liters.

I'll write more tomorrow but it's now 4am in Switzerland and i need a long nap^^

greetz
Tom

Great beer shop right near Moonee Ponds that sells literally hundreds of beers. It's on Albion Street/Primrose street corner in Essondon which is the next suburb along.

Bump this thread when you're in town. You could watch one of my brewdays if you need something to laugh at.

Essendon Cellars / World of Beer. Ask for Sam!

Tom,

Head down to the homebrew shop Grain & Grape (one of the sponsors above) in Yarraville (not to far from moonee ponds). They've got all-grain brewing demos every second Saturday from 10am.

Cheers

Good call on the World Beer Shop in Essendon, Manticle. Huge range, I reckon better than Cloud Wine Cellars.

Popped in for a look at lunchtime, but they didn't have what I wanted

Still, seeing it's not far from work, will be popping in again soon when the tastebuds get a little "curious"

I have a small but very decent selction of beers around the corner from me and their prices are better than WBS (also cheaper than DM's: Chimay Blue = 7.50) but the range at WBS is superb so anytime I want to try anything new I'll be popping in to see if they stock it. It's quite close to me but I only came across it recently.

Latest posts

Back