Im In Belgium Soon

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmolou

Reaction score
ok so iv tasted the great oktoberfest beer and the czech republics and now off to germany but what are the best breweries im going to ghent brussels and bruge sofar any suggestions

ok so iv tasted the great oktoberfest beer and the czech republics and now off to germany but what are the best breweries im going to ghent brussels and bruge sofar any suggestions
Find a street in Brussels called GrassMarket or Rue Mach de Herbs or whatever. There is a pub down a little alley that opened in about 1667 or so. Great little spot and it just seems so old when you are there. Good for Orval and Chimay on tap

There is also one that runs a puppet show near by I did not go to but could be worth it.

Cantillon Gueze brewery in Brussels.
Cantillon
DeGoudenboom brewery in Brugges. We did this as part of a tour with Quasimodo's tours (t.... doing a search it mentions they've moved the brewery. :unsure:
Quasimodo's Tours
deGoudenboom
Enjoy the trip, and have a beer for us... each and every one of us :party:

If you can, get to Westvleteren and the St Sixtus Abbey, can only buy the beers directly from the brewery, so not something you will experience back home by visiting Dan's.

We went a couple of years ago to Germany and Belgium, absolutely fantastic! Am I envious, you bet.
Anyway there are some old bars and pubs as has been said in Brugge, there is also a great beer shop / museum. Well worth a visit. Sorry don't know the street name but it is in the old part of the town.

AC

Dare ya to complain about their weird shit beers, and demand sunfin decent like a XXXX or Fosters. :p

I was in Brugge late last year, there's a bar called Cambrinus that has about 400 beers on the menu. A bit too many to work through on the one trip, but I think it's a must. Fairly easy to find (just off the main square), they have a website, they also have a bottle shop with a similar selection a few houses away from the bar if you want to take some home. I think they also have a shop in brussels.

The other one I would suggest is De Halve Maan Brewery, supposedly the only brewery left in Brugge...not sure if that's true or not but their beers are quite good.

You'll have a great time.

James

Mate,

When are you there? I land on the 13th October. We can meet up and hold the first ever AHB pub crawl in Belgium!!!!

Cheers,
Thommo.

I was in Brugge late last year, there's a bar called Cambrinus that has about 400 beers on the menu. A bit too many to work through on the one trip, but I think it's a must. Fairly easy to find (just off the main square), they have a website, they also have a bottle shop with a similar selection a few houses away from the bar if you want to take some home. I think they also have a shop in brussels.

+1, awesome place, but deciding is a challenge.

You must also climb the carillion and visit the basilica of the holy blood when there.
And have some musseln et frittes with mayonnaise and a Hoegaarden

cheers

grant

Lucky Bugger - I was there a couple of months ago and am already planning the trip back. It's never long enough.

In Brussels on a rainy and surprisingly cold day and I found that if you get away from the main centre it's pretty hard not to find a good place to drink.

I second Cantillion. It's excellent and the tour involves you wandering around the brewery by yourself poking your nose into what ever tickles your fancy, before tucking in the complementary gueze and lambics. You have to walk through some pretty dodgy neighbourhoods to get there though.

If you can manage to get out of the city, there is a great cafe in a little village called Overjise that has a great beer cafe just off the main square. Beer menu of around 400 and all in stock.

Have fun.

+1 for the Cambrinus bar (never knew the name, just called it "the 400 beers pub") - it is awesome, and once you start trying some of the more interesting beers, the locals will love you for it.

Otherwise, sort yourself out with a serve of frittes and stoflasaus (spelling???) - essentially it is beef gravy, but with the beef left in it, so you get nice flecks of juicy beef and thick rich gravy with hot chips. Awesome!!

petesbrew said:
DeGoudenboom brewery in Brugges. We did this as part of a tour with Quasimodo's tours (t.... doing a search it mentions they've moved the brewery. unsure.gif
Yep, found that out when I got there :(

Aussie Claret said:
there are some old bars and pubs as has been said in Brugge, there is also a great beer shop / museum. Well worth a visit. Sorry don't know the street name but it is in the old part of the town.
Is this it?
04___paradise.jpg
If so, it's Het Bierpaleis, 25-27 Katelijnestraat, 8000 Brugge, [email protected], they have an ebay store, link thru http://www.bierpaleis.com/
(Photo is just one wall of the two neighbouring shops they fill)

Ronin said:
The other one I would suggest is De Halve Maan Brewery, supposedly the only brewery left in Brugge...not sure if that's true or not but their beers are quite good.
I visited this brewery, unfortunatelly tho I decide to visit on my last day in Brugge, which happened to be the one day a week they are closed to the public :( I think it was a Wednesday.

Have fun :)

+1, awesome place, but deciding is a challenge.

You must also climb the carillion and visit the basilica of the holy blood when there.
And have some musseln et frittes with mayonnaise and a Hoegaarden

cheers

grant

I know, deciding took forever and I don't feel like I tried anywhere near enough of them. The size of the beer menu was impressive. I guess there's always that incentive to go back.

Latest posts

Back