Iipa Hop Sock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
Im brewing a IIPA tomorrow and I want to use my hopsock (250 micron) to avoid losing to much to trub. Will I lose hope utilization if I just chuck all the hops in the bag and don't agitate it during the boil? Iv'e only brewed 1 other IIPA and I threw all the hops in the kettle which turned out to be losing around 6-7L to trub. I used some for yeast starters last time to save some but Im not sure about 500g of hops packed in a hop sock. Will the hops in the middle be giving away their alfa acids?

i can't say from experience about the exact question, as i haven't used a hop sock. i'm interrested in the answer.

If i were you, I would be some of your bittering hops directly to the kettle to aid in hot break (not heaps)

If the hop sock is as big as the kettle, it'll make no difference.

I reckon with 10:1 (hops wet) volume in the hop sock you'll get no difference than freeballing. Make sure you squeeze the sock when you take it out.

You'd need a hop sock the size of a BIAB grain bag for that many hops, use three or four or more large hop socks and you will get much better utilization.

Andrew

This is the hop sock in question. Sounds like a good idea to just put the bittering hops in the sock and the rest free balled.

so why should the hop sock be squeezed? I dont squeeze the hops sitting in the bottom of my pot when I drain it.

so why should the hop sock be squeezed? I dont squeeze the hops sitting in the bottom of my pot when I drain it.
I guess to get all the wort out as not to lose any. I just let them drain while im waiting after whirl pool personally.

i dont use my 250 micron hop sock anymore as the outside gets coated in break material and doesnt allow the wort to flow through.
have been freeballing it ever since, but have got the 500 micron on the soon to buy list.
BTW gav i have seen a picture somewhere where bribieg used a biab bag in his urn as a hop sock so to speak. should work for 500g hops.

500g of hops?

****.... That's a lot.

What hops are you using?

I'd use hop sock for each addition with that amount of hops
Or split 1or 2 additions per hop sock depending on amount of additions
And amount of hops
Dont squeeze the sock at end of boil
Just let it drip
I made 4 hop socks out of BIAB bag stitched with braided fishing line
f#@k it took a long time by hand

Thats called kettle loss. It just helps get a bit of efficiency and hop flavours out that are in the spent hops. Kind of like a biab bag.

Big nath, Im using Centennial in a 45L brew so not that manny hops really. Other posts about BIAB yeah I was at Bribie G place when he was using his BIAB bag for a hop bag, totally forgot! Unfortunately I don't have one on hand and will just be using my 50L braumeister. Thanks for all the great ideas people. 1/2 in the pot 1/2 in the sock I think for now.

I know what kettle loss is but just wondered why you would squeeze the bag if in a traditional system there will be as much wort trapped in the hops sitting on the bottom of the kettle. Bit like a BIAB never seena reason to squeeze you just extract out more flour but if you let it drip for a while its clear as.

I know what kettle loss is but just wondered why you would squeeze the bag if in a traditional system there will be as much wort trapped in the hops sitting on the bottom of the kettle. Bit like a BIAB never seena reason to squeeze you just extract out more flour but if you let it drip for a while its clear as.
I only ever bothered squeezing the bag when I was keen to get the hops out and clean all my parts but I cant see why you would otherwise.

To reduce your kettle loss to hops to zero. 500g will hold litres of wort.

You could let it drip - but it'll take ages. Why wait?

Ages...nah only 20 minutes or so.

Well yes you can just let it drain, but the hops will still hold a lot of wort, even after 20 min. I don't advocate wringing out the BIAB bag, but for the hop sock I would give it a good squeeze a number of times during and at the end of the boil.

500g is a lot of hops. I have been involved in a brew that used 1000g of Citra, but the knock out was like 400L at a brew day at Potters, for 20 club members, and that was a hoppy beer!

I agree with your idea of using the hop sock.

Fear_n_loath

To get better utilization, you can also periodically (every 15 minutes) lift the sock out (for 30 seconds) to let most of the wort drain out, then place it back in.
What this does is circulate the wort through the hops.

I use a cloth bag for hops, and I do squeeze it at the end.

I always give mt hop bag a light squeeze at the end, too much hoppy gooodness in there that I want in the brew.

Same for the grain bag, mind I never did mind given the ol bag a squeeze. :p

Latest posts

Back