If you live in an old house, beware..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buxtronix

Reaction score
After getting a water leak here in the house (built in the 50's), we had all the old galvanized plumbing replaced with copper yesterday. Both water pressure and taste improved immensely right away, and I think I finally found out what's been making my beer have a sharp taste.

Check out this pipe my water was feeling through! That's basically rust and corrosion from 50 years of use.

If your house still has plumbing from before the 70's, your water is probably going through the same crap...

20130619_194226.jpg

buxtronix said:
After getting a water leak here in the house (built in the 50's), we had all the old galvanized plumbing replaced with copper yesterday. Both water pressure and taste improved immensely right away, and I think I finally found out what's been making my beer have a sharp taste.

Check out this pipe my water was feeling through! That's basically rust and corrosion from 50 years of use.

If your house still has plumbing from before the 70's, your water is probably going through the same crap...
Have you had a look inside the cistern at all?

And before it gets to your house its running thru steel and miles and miles of that asbestos stuff.. Gives me belly laughs!!

chewy said:
And before it gets to your house its running thru steel and miles and miles of that asbestos stuff.. Gives me belly laughs!!
Luckily if you are breathing the water you're are fucked anyway. :D

According to the Dr. my arteries are going to look something like that pipe if I dont do something about my cholesterol.

Your LDL cholesterol, not your HDL. The reason you get atherosclerosis is because of inflammatory spots on the artery walls exacerbated by LDL cholesterol, so to redress the balance eat less vegetable oils and increase your intake of eggs, butter and full fat meat.

My house was built in the 20's, I believe all of that rust and corrosion will be killed off in a 60 minute boil.

Right guys?

replaced water lines few years ago,even the gas line,and the heart plumbing has be redone

Most Councils use Polybutylene or Ductile Iron. 30+years ago it was Asbestos Cement and Earthen-ware.
Fittings can be powdercoated steel, brass, copper, polyethylene etc.
They all last a bloody long time and only get replaced on failure.

And ignorant folk still complain about chloride, chloramine & fluoride??

phoneyhuh said:
My house was built in the 20's, I believe all of that rust and corrosion will be killed off in a 60 minute boil.

Right guys?
Boiling kills bugs. Metal/rust residues will simply get concentrated.

Mmmmmm iron. Everything kills you eventually. Some things quicker than others

They say iron can be tasted in beer even in minute concentrations, and can cause many negative reactions. Water pipes are ~40 years old here, but thankfully copper.

DICL pipes are lined with cement mortar for anti corrosion hence better tasting beer.

felten said:
They say iron can be tasted in beer even in minute concentrations, and can cause many negative reactions. Water pipes are ~40 years old here, but thankfully copper.
There was a neat trick which was given at the ECU short course, which is to rub a drop of beer on the back of your hand and sniff it. If it is high in iron, it smells like blood or rusty nails.

Install a Reverse Osmosis system you'll never look back and you won't believe how good water tastes.

With the much rusty and irony beer in you - will magnets stick to you???

Latest posts

Back