If you live in an old house, beware..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
buxtronix said:
Boiling kills bugs. Metal/rust residues will simply get concentrated.
and drop out, one would think.

magneto_zpsbd2804a2.jpg

nathan_madness said:
Install a Reverse Osmosis system you'll never look back and you won't believe how good water tastes.
If you can afford it, and the increased water bills... its very inefficient basis the amount of water you need to feed into it versus what you get out.

A multi stage water filter with replaceable cartridges does just fine...

Goose said:
If you can afford it, and the increased water bills... its very inefficient basis the amount of water you need to feed into it versus what you get out.

A multi stage water filter with replaceable cartridges does just fine...
It doesn't give you the control over your water chemistry that RO does, though
Also, an iron removal filter (not just a normal filter cartridge that won't remove iron) is going to cost you minimum $280
The cost for the extra water is going to be less than $10 a year, which would mean the iron filter will take 28 years to pay itself off

RO has a waste of 4:1 drinkable, however you can divert that waste water out into garden uses or an other water uses you have. Easy enough to install a small tank like the one the clean water goes into for pretty cheap. Then use that for anything other than drinking/consumption.

Efficiency is based on what you do with it, not the dirty:clean ratio.

What is cheap anyway, you get stung by service fees mostly (at least in VIC)

Any old pipework looks like that! Copper looks the same over time and I'm sure the new plastic systems will too.

From my own experience you'll get less dissolved solids in older areas with older pipes. There's also factors like distance from reservoir and recent rainfall that come into play.

Personally, I use a reverse osmosis, activated carbon, 2x particulate and deionisation filter. I still drink from the tap though.

Latest posts

Back