If Money Was No Object Would You Start A Micro Brewery?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ALways the dream and all planned out so many times but every idea always comes out way too high on the bucks or the risk and unless there was a big Tats win or inheritance it's never going to happen. Then it gets you thinking if you had a big windfall like that then why the heck would you want to run a microbrewery anyway.

No.

Even if I had loads of cash, I wouldn't start a micro. Brewing beer is a hobby for me, I wouldn't want to end up stressing over it as a business. It would be a hard business to get off the ground too I reckon. Take a lot of dedication. I'd have the cash in the bank/passive investments and drink beer from someone else's micro.

Bugger that. Imagine coming home after a hard day's slog and being sick of the sight of a kettle?

Agreed. And 90% of the bloody job is cleaning

Most definitely.
If money was no option, I would love to brew on a commercial basis from my own Pizza Pasta place.
24 of my finest brews on tap, 3 x 8 tap flooded fonts running the best glycol system money can buy.
The brewing side of things would be my hobby / passion & the cleaning side, well that's the beauty of being the boss.
The staff will take care of that.

hey nick jd you have the navel and i would take the rack.

i would have a nice shed with a few 50L bruameisters. a nice bar setup. a wife and a new mistress. oh and 5 acres with a dam filled with marron and trout.

or i could just pay nev to make me 50L kegs of big red, willamette amber ale and kidney slapper.oh and argons LFPA recipe.

A completely "organic" cafe. All produce sourced locally, all hormone, pesticide & gm free. A really nice smoking area. A dog-friendly area. A hot-arse bar wench that knows the beer from the mash to the tap. Lots of taps available for "special" brews from AHB members wanting to show off their newest triumphs. Tasting nights. Blah blah.......it could go on and on. Hopefully I'd win enough money to set up the pub & invest the rest to cover the losses that I'd make.

Most definitely.
If money was no option, I would love to brew on a commercial basis from my own Pizza Pasta place.
24 of my finest brews on tap, 3 x 8 tap flooded fonts running the best glycol system money can buy.
The brewing side of things would be my hobby / passion & the cleaning side, well that's the beauty of being the boss.
The staff will take care of that.

Nah, I'd keep it as a hobby. I wouldn't want to ruin it by turning it into a buisness. I like making small batches for my family and friends. If a batch isn't what I'd hoped for then I've only got to get through 30 or so bottles, not try and shift hundreds (or thousands) of litres. B)

Fk yeah! I've just won the lotto therefore I can afford to hire a tun shoveler, a kettle scrubber and the best marketing team money can buy. All I would do is a bit of r&d with the head brewer then spend the rest of my time at dons cleaning racks and such

Nope - someone else is doing it cheaper and better than me - I'd rather the money be used to help them make a profit (by travelling the world to find them, taking SWMBO and 3 and a bit anklebitings with), than line the pockets of the local councillors just to do something that some has been doing for hundreds of years better than I ever could.

Besides, producing the same beer more than twice seems a tad boring. That's the advantage of a hobby - no commercial reality (from an auditor's point of view).

Goomba

Id rather make a 200lt brewery and charge mates to help me brew to cover the cost of the ingredients they take home ( of coarse I would pay for gas, power and water) they just have to cover there ingredient costs.

If I won the lotto, I'd have nothing whatsoever to do with pandering to random people's whims!

A completely "organic" cafe. All produce sourced locally, all hormone, pesticide & gm free. A really nice smoking area. A dog-friendly area. A hot-arse bar wench that knows the beer from the mash to the tap. Lots of taps available for "special" brews from AHB members wanting to show off their newest triumphs. Tasting nights. Blah blah.......it could go on and on. Hopefully I'd win enough money to set up the pub & invest the rest to cover the losses that I'd make.

Yep cause all those organic products counter act lung cancer.

Nope.... But I'd have a sweet mofo of a brew rig....

I think if money was no object, and you had other property investments etc that you were drawing a decent regular income from it would be great to setup a small microbrewery in a shed with a bar and pizzas/bar snacks served as well.

I would employ a head brewer and bar staff, a manager to oversee things and take care of marketing so I could then just go in when I felt like it.

Then have a 50 litre braumiester in the corner where me and the head brewer could come up with our own recipes and have tasting nights and if a beer was a hit pump out a large batch to put over the bar...Life would be good.. :)

Absolutely I would.

Hard work doesn't frighten me, I've had soul sucking jobs that I've hated and still got on with it, so working at something that would bring a great deal of satisfaction wouldn't be a chore in my book :)

+1 for the hookers and blow on the back verandah B)

Screw owning a microbrewery, if money was no object, i'd by Anheuser Ausch and makes heaps more cash.

There'd be **** all work going on by me

id be happy enough to work in the industry (note to anyone who needs an ops or corporate services person). but yeah i'd own one. I already work 11 hr days and get paid for 8, so I may as well work those hours for myself

Latest posts

Back