Ideal Mash Tun Volume

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The braid comes with tubing inside. To remove it you need to cut the ends off and then pull it out which can some times be a real PITA. Any hardware store should have it in the plumbing section in length from 0.5-2m.

When making a mash tun, where do i get the braid from and what is it called.
Does it have any tube inside it or is it straight braid
go to a plumbing supplies or mitre 10/bunnings & get an "easy hooker" from the plumbing section. They are used to connect taps up to wall outlets eg under vanities. they have the braid over a rubber hose & a screw fitting on each end. You will need to cut 1 end completely off & just through the braid on the other end (that allows you to get the braid off the hose easier cause you have something to grip the hose with. Wrap some electrical tape aropund the hose where you want to cut & cut in the middle of the tape - this will stop the "jaggy" ends of the braid from catching on things like your hand a lot.

you can also buy the braid from performance car places like Earles braided hose - but it'll cost you more

Just revisiting this thread to see a whole heap of new contributions. After some more reading I've definitely opted out of going for the Urn style MLT. An esky with a false bottom is going to be a whole lot cheaper and it can double to keep my beer cold when im not mashing!

Now should I go for rectangular or cylindrical? :: puts the tin opener away :: j/k.

Now should I go for rectangular or cylindrical?
I'd say it depends on what you have or can get.

Don't forget you can make a tun easily enough. Use the bucket in bucket method as used by Brewfrau or get a drum, gaffer tape, some insulation and a few plumbing fittings & you'll have a tun in a couple of hours. Check out the pics here for making the braid / fittings & here for the finished result. This tun holds 200l and cost me less than $100 to make (half of that was for the 1" braid). The insulation cost me $5 for a roll (from Reverse Garbage). I am about to repeat the process fith a smaller drum cause my 75l esky tun is finally dying :(

DrS has wise words to say earlier about the kettle size. I reckon a 70-80l kettle will give the most flexibility for most people.

Stusters suggestion of a partigyle is very valid. The ISB have done some fabulous brew days using this technique.

That's one big bucket you have there! :lol: I don't have a boiler big enough for something that size :)

I just built a brand new mash-tun from a 47L storage container from bunnings - $8.00. New easy hooker for hos braid replacement. 60cm approx $10 ... already had the tap and plumbing bit, but altogether maybe another $15 ??

No insulation required for me because I run a HERMS... but a $5.00 camping mat and a bit of gaffa tape would see you right altogether <$50 for a 47L mashtun

IMG_1696.JPG

Too easy and cheap as. Works a treat for single drain batch sparging and double batches will be a doddle with a two equal drain regimen.

Thirsty

edit ... to add the picture and remove the vile invective

Damn, I missed the vile invective! Nice idea for a tun, although all my attempts to use those things as eskies have been short lived, they seem to degrade and crack very rapidly and not hold water. Keep it out of sunlight and go easy on it and it will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Been using a 28L one for the last six months or so... about 8ish brews and no probs. Just wanted bigger.

Keep it out of sunlight

QFT. My Mrs has bought lots of these things for storage around the house. I've found them to be very UV unstable, to the point that I've had some of them, especially the cheap ones, break in between the mall and the car in the car-park!

Are those roller tubs food safe? A lot of them are made in China, and we all know what they're like with plastics. You might end up having some very interesting additives to your beer :)

Actually the Rubbermaid 10Gal cooler looks like it'd make a great MLT. Just need to manufacture an effective manifold or just fork out for one of the cylindrical falsies.

Are those roller tubs food safe? A lot of them are made in China, and we all know what they're like with plastics. You might end up having some very interesting additives to your beer :)

Actually the Rubbermaid 10Gal cooler looks like it'd make a great MLT. Just need to manufacture an effective manifold or just fork out for one of the cylindrical falsies.

Probably not, but then neither is the tubing that half of the brewers here use, not the black plastic fittings, or the cheap garden hose QD's... If the tub I have been using has been leaching chemicals, its been leaching tasteless chemicals, and thats good enough for me.

The plastic eski I was using as a mashtun for the previous 40 brews was also made in china and no more likely to be food safe. I doubt if the Gotts or any other eski is a whole lot better. I might be wrong and probably am, what with the brain damage caused by the leaching plastisisers...

Thirsty :icon_drool2:

I think there is some variation in plastic tubs.

I have a small quantity of 50litre (ish) clear plastic tubs. I use one as a bottle soaker and general 'bucket'. It has lived outside for the past six months or so and is as good as the day it made a machine go Ping on its way out of Bunnings.

Mine are Zag brand...

Edit: Added extra invective.

Damn, I missed the vile invective! Nice idea for a tun, although all my attempts to use those things as eskies have been short lived, they seem to degrade and crack very rapidly and not hold water. Keep it out of sunlight and go easy on it and it will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

GL, are the pic's of the misadventure with the esky and spilled malt still around?
It's probably something you want to forget but the pic's may be a lesson for others!

- Luke

I'm also interested in any thoughts about cylindrical vs square coolers - anybody used both?

I'm looking to replace my 20L square esky. I can do 20L batches in this but it's pretty squeezy and I only get 65% efficiency. I can find plenty of square coolers around in all sorts of sizes, but is there an advantage to a cylindrical.

From what I can see you'd end up with a taller grain bed, so would it filter better or be more prone to sticking? I do batch sparging, and am not planning to change that at least...

Latest posts

Back