Ice Box Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i bought an 60litre icebox from unbelievably cool on ebay. I have done 3 mashes in it so far and seems to be doing the job

I reckon it would be overkill as a mash tun for regular batches, but it would be very useful for a big batch, or AHB meet batch... if you do go down this route, look for a unit which has the height to allow you to serve from 3 gallon kegs too - at least you get two uses out of it for the $$$! The taps should be mounted high enough that they won't be a problem for a mash...
View attachment 14282

Oh, and you'd want a pump too - wouldn't like to see that many kg of grain and water up high for gravity feeding :ph34r: would be a PITA to move once full!

Aah yes the famed "Banana Beer" dispensing box from the whole bag brewday last year (as my partner christened it). Ant you could have saved me a lot of scrounging and mucking around if we had just commandeered your ice box as the mash tun :)

Coulda... shoulda... next time! Although feel free to drop by and pick it up ;)

Forgot to add into my previous post, the icebox does get an expansion lump on the inside in one spot but doesn't seem to be a problem. Got my 60 litre blue one from him on ebay and cost me $46.51 + $20 postage with a few of those dry ice sheet thingies. Couldn't refuse! Have seen a 60l one got for $47 with an 18litre esky since.

Cheers

I reckon it would be overkill as a mash tun for regular batches, but it would be very useful for a big batch, or AHB meet batch... if you do go down this route, look for a unit which has the height to allow you to serve from 3 gallon kegs too - at least you get two uses out of it for the $$$! The taps should be mounted high enough that they won't be a problem for a mash...

Oh, and you'd want a pump too - wouldn't like to see that many kg of grain and water up high for gravity feeding :ph34r: would be a PITA to move once full!

I did want something that I can do either 25 or 50 litre batches in, as well as some room to make either really big beers or experiment with step mashing. I just hope it's still very suitable for the little batches too, the 60 litre sounds deep enough to get a reasonably bed depth with only 4-5 kilos too, i hope.

Latest posts

Back