Ibu Adjustment For Water Profile Mistake

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopcycle

Reaction score
I meant to mash my pils grain for a german pils and mistakenly mashed my grain for a belgian dubbel...it was late in the day after a few beers with mates

Anyway, I added gypsum to about 150ppm sulfate to the mash water and reduced the IBU to take this water profile into account.

So now I have the water to go with a german pils and the ingredients for a belgian dubbel

The IBU for this dubbel is 15 which is at the low end of the BJCP range for the style of 15-25

What do you think will be the end result??

Was the OG for the Dubbel at the high or low end of the style and what grain bill ? What overall Chloride Sulphate ratio are we talking about as well ? In Perth 150ppm of Sulphate is only just starting to get on top of the amount of Chloride's in the water.
If you're gravity isn't stupid and the grainbill isn't destined to be a malt bomb, it'll probably come out OK.

Not sure about Brisbanes chloride but it seems to be about 20-50ppm. OG was 1055..so at the low end.

3kg Wey Pilsner

350g Munich 1

150g Aromatic

150g Caramunich 2

150g Special B

Cheers

Might be a little sweet, but I don't think it's going to be that bad. Just hit it hard, get thru it and brew it again !

Latest posts

Back