IanH's Spreadsheet question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosscomatic

Reaction score
Hey all

Just about to bulk prime before bottling and in IanH's Spreadsheet, it tells me to use 81g of Dextrose...

I'm assuming that I put 81g of Dissolved dextrose into my secondary and then rack my beer into that. Then bottle.

Or do I use 81g per bottle? or per Litre?

Trying to achieve 1.7vols of CO2...

Thanks!

It wouldn't be 81g per bottle, i normally put in about 5-6g per bottle (Dex).

But 81g seems a little low (mine is about 150g per 30 bottles). However, IanH spreadsheet has been on the money for me everytime so I would say for that carbonation level it would be fine

It's low because you're aiming for 1.7 vols any reason for that? That's pretty flat. Normal for say a pale Ale is like 2.2 which would bring you up to around 100g

Nizmoose said:
It's low because you're aiming for 1.7 vols any reason for that? That's pretty flat. Normal for say a pale Ale is like 2.2 which would bring you up to around 100g
I weighed out 150g of dextrose. It makes a huge pile! So obviously it's for the whole lot fermenter... Obvious once I'd weighed it out...

I wanted low vols because I'm making a Wee Heavy scotch ale and they aren't very carbonated... But I went for 150g of dextrose because... Dunno... Cos I want a bit of bubble I guess...

I just had a check on Beersmith and for 2.2 vols it suggests 118g of corn sugar so I'd consider dropping your dex weight closer to that, if you want it to not be heaps fizzy thats all good just wasnt sure if you knew 1.7vols is quite low, also with 150g of dex you're looking at close to 2.6 vols of CO2 which is quite high, you dont want bottle bombs :)

EDIT: this all assumes 18 degree C beer and a 23L batch, theres heaps of online calculators as well as iphone/android apps that are full of beer calculating software including carbonation, IanH's spreadsheet does a great job as well so as long as you follow those guidelines you'll be fine :) jsut dont assume 150g is a good idea, make sure you are getting the right amount, the only thing worse than flat beer is glass in your face :p

i agree

follow your style and requirements and don't over carb it

i chose that amount as i was after the upper levels of carbonation and noted here many people suggesting the 6g of dex

Latest posts

Back