I want to get elected!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that's where you need strong political leadership, where it's done for the common good, regardless of it being popular or not. Also needs cooperation between both parties, a hint of partisan politics and the thing is dead in the water.

Alas, we have very weak leadership and partisan politics is rife.

phoneyhuh said:
Look at how much opposition the James price point gas hub generated (it recently got struck down in court), and that's on an unpopulated stretch of coast near Broome. For every person like you who might say "Hey I've got no problem living near one" there'll be another several dozens angry parents with prams who will kick up a very loud fuss.
while you're absolutely right about NIMBY's & nuclear power plants, JPP isn't entirely relevant in this case. It was rejected due to a combination of things - environmental protection, extremely rare dinosaur tracks and their significance for palaeontology and something to do with their importance to the local aboriginal songlines. They're going to process the gas offshore now.

Liam_snorkel said:
while you're absolutely right about NIMBY's & nuclear power plants, JPP isn't entirely relevant in this case. It was rejected due to a combination of things - environmental protection, extremely rare dinosaur tracks and their significance for palaeontology and something to do with their importance to the local aboriginal songlines. They're going to process the gas offshore now.
I know, I was using it as an extreme example. Whichever location you'll find for a nuke powerplant someone will find reasons to reject it.

As for strong political leadership and bipartisan politics? Ha. No matter who is in power, if an opposition see's an opportunity to get mileage out of hitching their wagon to community anger, they'll jump on it. Populism over pragmatism is how they operate.

Maybe the NIMBY's can ring this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fstxnZ2VCFw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

In Victoria you can't build a wind turbine within 2km of a residence, how far away will a nuke plant have to be?

nu_brew said:
In Victoria you can't build a wind turbine within 2km of a residence, how far away will a nuke plant have to be?
I guess that depends on how much life threatening, inaudible infrasound they create.

Edit: Probably a lot.

Stop that

You will upset the hairy eared yellow nose lesser foot Numroo

I'm more concerned about the meatbeater's possum. Its been in the news a bit.

Liam_snorkel said:
Hmmm the devil is in the detail..
The Greens have detailed that most things fall in the "inappropriate" category for bio fuels such as hardwood plantation residue, pine plantation residue, native forest residue, saw mill residue...the list goes on and on.
The Greens are notorious for releasing broad policy statements that they are in favour of something then you read through the detail and they have put so many conditions/limitations in place that the end results is that they have basically closed the door.

Cheers
Chris

I want to get erected.

@ TasChris - fair enough assessment. They are restrictive in terms of environmental control but not "against" biofuels as your first post implied. Got a source for the residue comments? I'm honestly interested.
Cheers.

Liam_snorkel said:
@ TasChris - fair enough assessment. They are restrictive in terms of environmental control but not "against" biofuels as your first post implied. Got a source for the residue comments? I'm honestly interested.
Cheers.
trying to find a link that I have read.

Below are two media reports.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-09/oakeshott-forest-plan-objections/3879546#site=ballarat

http://lee-rhiannon.greensmps.org.au/content/speeches-parliament/speech-senate-burning-native-forest-wood-waste-electricity-should-not-be

The opposing of renewable energy credits for native forests, plantations and mill waste effectively scuttled the idea. The Labor party, Wilkie, Windsor and the Greens all voted against REC's.

Cheers
Chris

Latest posts

Back