I want a More malty taste in my brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axematt

Reaction score
gday all.

I’m wondering what is the best way to get a more malty taste in my lager or any brew for that matter. I just do K&K and I generally put in 1.2kg of LDME along with steeping around 300g of grain but I’m looking for a more maltier taste. Any help for this noob would be much appreciated!

Cheers

gday all.

I’m wondering what is the best way to get a more malty taste in my lager or any brew for that matter. I just do K&K and I generally put in 1.2kg of LDME along with steeping around 300g of grain but I’m looking for a more maltier taste. Any help for this noob would be much appreciated!

Cheers
For me it would be Vienna malt, I use it in my Mild beer or you could use Munich.

Can you steep more than 300g or is that going to introduce a bad taste. I might be comparing my brews to manufactured stuff which seems to have a far more maltier taste than my efforts, don't get me wrong I'm pretty bloody happy with my results of IPA's and amber ales of which I make lots of, but whenever I buy a lager or malty style beer it just tastes better...that my just be the way it is until I get into AG....one day!

Cheers

To get the lager taste, best wait until you go all grain, I have made it the traditional way, and have tried the quicker way with a higher temperature and pressure. If you have the patience then lagering at the lower fermenting temps and time will produce a cleaner crisper lager.

Yeah, think I'll wait and see what I get then. When I said "malty" I should clarify that I meant a "bready, doughy" taste, maybe not to everyone's liking but I like it.

In all grain most brewers I know go straight to the best malt they can get when they lager.

I would expect that malt extract loses most of these subtle qualities quickly or is produced from cheaper / less subtle malt to begin with.

You might have some luck steeping a small amount of melanoidin malt , Munich or biscuit, to reintroduce those qualities. But you won’t get it from extract.

You can add caramunich malt which just needs a steep in hot water. Others have mentioned Munich and Vienna malt but those malts needs to be mashed whereas caramunich and crystal malts don't, they just need steeping which is a bit easier for extract brewing.

If you do mash small amounts of Munich or Vienna you are classed as a partial mash brewer, if you use malts that don't need mashing you are classed as an extract with steeped grains brewer.

I’d use Munich malt, keep IBUs around 20 or under for a malt driven taste
I'm also trying to increase the maltiness and read reducing the IBU to around 20 should achieve this. I'm using 2.5kg Golden promise .5kg Dark Munich .5kg LDME and EKG hops to 22 IBU which has IBU/OG ratio of around .4 so any comments on whether this should be malty?

Labels point is well made, I was a bit surprised to see some experienced brewers suggesting that its OK to just steep unconverted malts - it isn't really all that good an idea.
Funny enough that Bready or Doughy, well the best way to get it that I have found is to use some Torrified Wheat. Widely used in Belgian beers for just that flavour, also in many Mild UK style beers.

Have a read up on Mini Mashing, or take the step and go all grain, BIAB has made it a smaller jump than ever before.
Going AG will open up a whole world of control and flavours that you just cant get as a kit brewer.
Mark

Latest posts

Back