I Think I Overdid The Wheat And The Aromas...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. But I'm more optimistic...

This is the same glass after a couple of hours in the fridge:

View attachment 32591

See, all the white at the bottom? And after sipping the cooler brew, I'm maybe overreacting...

Maybe I shouldn't have interfered so early!

Question.

Dont you folks use the plastic fermentors you can not see through with the taps on the bottle edge?

If so how can you tell if it has dropped clear? With the tap on the bottom and extra sediment as admitted you could be drawing a gunky sample.

I still would leave it for a month total and then give it a peak. I know, hard to do but still the best for the beer. And no leaving it for a month will not hurt it one little bit.

Question.

Dont you folks use the plastic fermentors you can not see through with the taps on the bottle edge?

If so how can you tell if it has dropped clear?

Most plastic fermenters in Oz are white, but not opaque - they're semi-translucent so you can still see through them. Just not as easily as a glass carboy.

Generally speaking, you can see when the yeast has dropped out of suspension as it is a noticable contrast on the bottom - it's easier to tell with a stout as it will show up better against the brown/black admittedly but you can still tell. Seeing the trub in a bath rim around the top also is another tell-tale sign for us plastic barrel users that all has dropped. In addition, the fermenters we buy at LHBS often come with a clear lid so you can actually look in and peek at yeast activity.

Once you get used to it and know what your yeast is doing it's not a big issue. Cleaning a carboy and carrying them around look like a pain to me. Wouldn't want to break one.

Hopper.

Well, as usual you guys have it spot on...

I think it's clearing (slowly)! Going by the less dense shade of orange plastic carboy... needs time in a (Cold) fridge though (...Chappo?)

I'm giving it 'till after the swap (or maybe I should bring the fermenter...?)

Latest posts

Back