I See Brewing Terms Everywhere

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pommiebloke

Reaction score
Since starting brewing in earnest, I can't help seeing brewing terms everywhere.

The toilet bowl at work is maked "Caroma". I can't look at it without thinking "Cararoma".
When the missus asks me to put the kettle on I think of firing up the turkey burner.
Mashing has nothing to do with potatoes any more.

Anyone else?

Yeah, man. When numbers such as 3711, 3470, 1968 or 1272 occur in everyday life I have a wry smile. Was boiling pasta tonight looking at the scum on top thinking mmm to skim or not to skim...

Whenever I walk into the store room at work and see the blue esky and 30 litre urn I want to go home.

Not me Mill.

Most of my day to day grist is spent yeasting about things completely non brewing fermented.

Sometimes at work when we have a kettle I might keg someone for a quick hop but that's about trub. Save my beer stuff for when I'm at high krausen. Last week I even 1469ed before racking.

Right now I'm pondering a large cauldron out in the woods and the festivities surrounding it. :ph34r:

jyo said:
Yeah, man. When numbers such as 3711, 3470, 1968 or 1272 occur in everyday life I have a wry smile.
Yup, totally. I hear/read 1968 and think, "mmm english ale" not "stick it to the man, man".

But maybe that's cos I'm only 27 and was never a hippy to begin with :p

pommiebloke said:
Anyone else?
Nope but every time I end up shopping with SWMBO I do think about re-purposing just about every bit of kitchenware she looks at or wondering what I can make beer from in the ethnic groceries shops she likes to frequent.

You know I'm pretty sure you should mash potatoes in order to create the perfect mash - some kind of scientific reasoning that is enzyme related. Not that anyone would have the patience to wait however long it takes to cook spuds at 70c!

I think the sadest one is when you hear "rack" and smile, but you're not thinking what the misses thinks you are, you're thinking about transferring your lager to secondary. Guilty!

When all my dad talks about is barley whenever I get the chance to speak to him, it's hard to escape thinking about brewing.

If you guys want to do a bulk grain buy of Optic, I could get one organised. Say, 500 tonnes?

Back