I Love No Chill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keeping in minf that I am fairly new to brewing... but I thought getting the fermentation process down pat would be more important to the homebrewer rather than the chilling method. No chill made sense to me as it uses less water and I can pitch the yeast the next day.

No chill works for me its that simple. I challenge anyone to pick it in a well made beer.

FFS Chappo i believed you and threw out all my cubes today............................

Nah you know me Chap I dont throw anything out.

Yes... Yes I do.. :lol:

Bottle tops anyone??? :ph34r:

Just tasted my last NC eight grain mongrel APA. Heaps of flavor and aroma. It was NC in the fermenters in the fermenter fridge overnight and yeast pitched within 18 hours.

Gavo.

Edit: I think I may get botulism Chappo style with this one.

The interesting part is I find bitterness a little more in chilled beers, flavour and aroma I find much the same with both, goes against the popular beliefs but I call it as I find it.

That's interesting, because I actually assumed that bitterness would be less with no-chill and the beer that I no-chilled and Screwface chilled came out far less bitter than I expected. It's the only n/c i've tried though.

You can get fucked if you think i'm ever going to buy a chiller though. Shit, people have been making beer for centuries without chilling it. Read an 18th century book about brewing and strangely enough there's no mention of it and they turned out all the beer that people try to emulate nowadays.

IMO (no H) the only reason people did start chilling it was for commercial reasons.

But there's nowt as strange as folks with different strokes doing owt for nowt for thisen.

In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries following the invention of the thermometer, UK and Continental breweries were fanatical about temperature control, especially during fermentation. They did this by means of heat exchange pipes passing through the fermenting vessels, called attemperators which they used to cool or heat the fermenting beer, and in the Yorkshire Stone Square system, the squares were one inside another with a water jacket surrounding the brew, which enabled them to control it to within a fraction of a degree.
But as Shed pointed out, no particular whiz bang method of wort cooling. Interesting.

Condescending, I think not, after all in order to be condescending a modicum of intelligence is required so clearly blacklabb you were not.
Pete is not "claiming" anything, he is merely noting that standard commercial practice, from micro's to megas is to to chill as quickly and efficiently as possible, yes there are commercial considerations, for example if your beer is shit people won't buy it, but having said that lots of HB people no-chill, many as this thread shows have both chilled and no chilled and settled on no chill.
To be brutally honest you are not going to make a silk purse out of a sows ear and as such chill or no chill makes no difference to the final product.

K

Yes condescending was the wrong word.

He was infact claiming that beer from chilled wort would be better than beer from unchilled wort, and that a good hefenweizer was not able to be made using no chill.

I disagree with both statements and wanted to hear what information he has that he used to form these statements.

I came across like an asshole which I regret. I would have much prefered to be able to have a discussion about his view on the issue but I made the discussion unenjoyable. Having said that he still hasnt presented any information. Maybe he knows something no one else does and I stopped him from sharing it. Most likely those statements have no substance to back them up.

I have nothing further to say.
This argument cannot be won by either side.
I have put my statements out there, and you can take them on board, or shrug them off.
I have no concerns over whether you believe me or not.
Now, can we please move forward, or continue to be bogged down?

With the bi-polar arguments occurring in this and it's sister thread, I am looking forward to the next logical topic:

"I am ambivalent about No Chill"

With the bi-polar arguments occurring in this and it's sister thread, I am looking forward to the next logical topic:

"I am ambivalent about No Chill"

I was tempted...

"I'm not sure whether I love or hate no chill and you're NOT helping!"

No I don't Steve, in fact I don't find a great difference. The interesting part is I find bitterness a little more in chilled beers, flavour and aroma I find much the same with both, goes against the popular beliefs but I call it as I find it.

Batz

My immersion chiller is also colecting dust in the shed. The only change to my hop schedule is I add the flame out hops to the fermentor. This is a change I see to suit my taste requirements; like all brewers should do, adapt the recipie to suit your taste. I also do slow-chill to try and get under that critical 80degrees point as quick as I can.

QldKev

Back