I Love No Chill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too have thought about putting the NC cube into the pool to cool it quicker but as i am trying to get tweak my recipes to work with the no chill method i might be taking another step backwards. My times might be all wrong again due to the wort cooling down alot quicker in the nc cube?
So if you can cool a nc in the pool in an hour or so but still leave it to a convenient time to pitch, like the next day or even week, would you still use the nc adjusted hopping schedule or would you go via the normal recipe schedule? Whats the said time frame that would make all the difference in the bittering dept.?
I agree with the posters who say you get the best beer with whatever works best for your gear, not who has the best gear. Thats why i ask questions on here and like topics like this, great reading if we could delete the pissing contests that can take place here sometimes.

I too have thought about putting the NC cube into the pool to cool it quicker but as i am trying to get tweak my recipes to work with the no chill method i might be taking another step backwards. My times might be all wrong again due to the wort cooling down alot quicker in the nc cube?
So if you can cool a nc in the pool in an hour or so but still leave it to a convenient time to pitch, like the next day or even week, would you still use the nc adjusted hopping schedule or would you go via the normal recipe schedule? Whats the said time frame that would make all the difference in the bittering dept.?
I agree with the posters who say you get the best beer with whatever works best for your gear, not who has the best gear. Thats why i ask questions on here and like topics like this, great reading if we could delete the pissing contests that can take place here sometimes.

I'd be going the normal hop schedule if cooling in the pool over an hour Ivesy. Maybe tweak the 60 min addition to 50 min instead of the 40 min slow no chill?

Yesterday evening I cube hopped for the first time ( 30 EKG into a Speckled Hen attempt) and keen to sniff the resulting wort when I pitch later on today. This morning cube was cool enough to pop into my lager fridge without it going "WTF :eek: " so looking at late afternoon if my Wy 1968 London ESB is up to the job. :)

Thanks Steve, next brew i might adjust by ten minutes and see how it goes, that way i might sort of get best of both worlds without changing recipe too much. Might even throw on the burners and brew today if i get the time and see how long it takes to cool for me. Cheers.

botulism_symptoms.png

I think I have botulism? Or I got really really hammered last night? :rolleyes:

BB, where did this table come from? Havent seen it before. I no chill in fermenters overnight then pitch the next day. Might have to give the suggested times a go next time I brew.
Cheers
Steve
Is it possible to reduce the amount of hops rather than adjust time, would this not come to the same IBU's and save on amount of hops used ?

As long as bitterness is your only concern. You'll lose flavour and aroma too.

Is it possible to reduce the amount of hops rather than adjust time, would this not come to the same IBU's and save on amount of hops used ?
I just aim for around 5IBU less and don't worry about anything else. I do remove the hops from the wort before cubing though (hopscreen).

As far as I'm concerned, the whole time adjustment thing is a waste of time, but then I've never chilled so maybe I don't know what I'm missing out on.

OK I wasn't going to enter this debate....but
I have no chilled for years and I'm pleased with the results, this winter I decided use the chiller again and have done so for the last 6 or more months. I firmly believe my beers where better when I no chilled, like others I only NC overnight and always pitch the next day.
To me it amounts to the difference in having a single or double brew day. The chiller here is going to collect cob webs once again.

Batz

It's good input regardless Batz.

After 5 - 6 years of no chilling, and nothing else, I went and bought 18m of copper tube today to start immersion chilling again. I'll know for sure whether the beers are different after the first couple of batches.

I have so far no chilled most of my beers. I got however a copper coil immersion chiller from someone who gave up brewing for free and have used it once. As I (until now) have mostly brewed lagers, the immersion chiller just doesn't cut it, as the Queensland tap water is just way to warm. It took me an hour to bring my wort close to 20 degrees with rain water which I recirculated back into the tank afterwards, I then switched to tap water and only managed to bring it down to around 18 degrees, which is still way to warm to pitch a large starter of lager yeast into. I have transferred this wort into the fermenter and left it to cool overnight, then used an aquarium pump to aerate it. Not surprisingly at all the beer did not turn out to well, and the extra amount of time I put in was not justified. So my immersion chiller is standing in a corner now, getting dusty.
Might pull it out again one day when brewing ales, but even then, I did not enjoy the whole dicking around with water hoses and stuff.

No chill it is for me!

I have no chilled for years and I'm pleased with the results, this winter I decided use the chiller again and have done so for the last 6 or more months. I firmly believe my beers where better when I no chilled, like others I only NC overnight and always pitch the next day.
To me it amounts to the difference in having a single or double brew day. The chiller here is going to collect cob webs once again.

Batz

Do you use the table shown earlier Batz? How do you work out your additions?

Do you use the table shown earlier Batz? How do you work out your additions?

No I don't Steve, in fact I don't find a great difference. The interesting part is I find bitterness a little more in chilled beers, flavour and aroma I find much the same with both, goes against the popular beliefs but I call it as I find it.

Batz

I love no chill too

Easy peasy

Instead of 60min, 10min & 5min hop additions I use :-

40min
Flameout
&
15min after whirlpool (5mins before draining to cube)

Works for me :beerbang:

Here's a copy of a suggested No Chill VS Chill hop usage guide

gallery_7556_552_38240.jpg

Thats a useful table for converting recipe's or for someone going from NC to cooling or cooling to NC.

I find once you start using NC you start to form your own methods and get an idea when to put your hops in to make your beer. People spend too much time comparing it to traditional hopping levels.

its like comparing a piece of meat roasted in the oven or spitroasted over a campfire. If you've roasted meat many times in the oven consistently and then do it the same way but spitroasted over a campfire it will end up differently.

Ivesy,

You can follow normal hop schedules. I suspect that the wort is below 70-80 degC within the first 10-15mins halting any isomerisation. I say the time my wort is isomerising is about 20-25mins by the time I whirlpool etc and transfer. This time would be quicker or the same as any commercial brews that can take quite sime time before the whole wort is transfered and cooled. The cube gives the added advantage of cube hopping.

Any flameout addition/cube hop gets added in for a few minutes when using beersmith to account for any IBUs it may add. This is particularly important if you are using a high Alpha acid hop in a low IBU beer e.g. a stone and wood clone.

Batz

Totally agree with ya Batz! Since I have been NCing no problems. No infections and most importantly consistent beers. Plate chiller I had is now donated to Gavo and his beery endeavours.

(Just been throwing a line out with the botulism :) . I was certain i would catch a big snapper :p )

(Just been throwing a line out with the botulism :) . I was certain i would catch a big snapper :p )

FFS Chappo i believed you and threw out all my cubes today............................

Nah you know me Chap I dont throw anything out.

I still would like to hear wether there is some information backing the calims pete, but I understand that I have been a bit aggressive and condescending which may lead you to avoid it. Please, for the sake of others please share. If anyone else has an explanation or speculation please speak up. I am actually in support of the sharing of information to improve beers not to stir shit.

Condescending, I think not, after all in order to be condescending a modicum of intelligence is required so clearly blacklabb you were not.
Pete is not "claiming" anything, he is merely noting that standard commercial practice, from micro's to megas is to to chill as quickly and efficiently as possible, yes there are commercial considerations, for example if your beer is shit people won't buy it, but having said that lots of HB people no-chill, many as this thread shows have both chilled and no chilled and settled on no chill.
To be brutally honest you are not going to make a silk purse out of a sows ear and as such chill or no chill makes no difference to the final product.

K

Back