I Had To Laugh...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hando

Reaction score
So I did my first brew for a long while about a week ago with a mate whose keen on getting into the brewing himself. And today, I transferred that brew into bottles and keg. It was a coopers K&K euro lager, with kit yeast etc. I just bought and used for the first time, a filter to clear the yeasties out (except for the 5 longnecks I bottled). I'm looking forward to trying it!

Then with all the excitement, and brew gear out of the cupboard, and whilst it was all clean etc I thought I'd put another Kit on to brew straight away. This time a Morgans Blue Mountains Lager. Differently to how I normally brew, I thought i'd boil the whole lot in the stock pot. It was very full, and I was careful not to have it boil over. It was at that point when I thought how wonderful the smell was of the hops and malt. That's when Mrs. hando came in, and whinged and whined about this and that. At first I couldn't hear her over my daydreams about being in brewing heaven. But when I came to reality I discovered that she actually vomited because the smell was so bad!!!

Well, what do you think I did? I laughed of course! And I got in trouble for that too, as you'd expect.

So she's sleeping on the couch tonight LOL - just kidding.

Its strange isn't it, my missus used to work near the San Miguel over here and she hated the smell too, but when I picked her up from work to me it just smelled great.

SWMBO grew up in Ultimo in Sydney and every morning she and her sister used to walk past Tooth's on the way to school. When I started brewing all grain, she said it was like being 8 years old again. I was the same, used to walk past Newcastle Breweries (UK)and get a lungfull of those beautiful hops.

SWMBO grew up in Ultimo in Sydney and every morning she and her sister used to walk past Tooth's on the way to school. When I started brewing all grain, she said it was like being 8 years old again. I was the same, used to walk past Newcastle Breweries (UK)and get a lungfull of those beautiful hops.

I went to uni in ultimo. That's what brewing smells remind me of

Wey aye man, a Geordie in the camp!
When I did my first BIAB last week it was reminiscent of my childhood walking past our local brewery in Guernsey. Weekly brews with swirling steam and a wonderful smell of hops and malt.

Sure she isn't preggers????

That's been the only time my missus has chucked due to brewing smells.

Hando's Blue Mountain Barf Lager.....gold :icon_vomit:

I can only express myself in a Haiku.

I would beat her ass
then divorce that bitch in a heartbeat
How disrespectful to your beer

Haiku is beautiful.

Drunk hiaku?

Isn't the format 5/7/5?

edit: syllables, not words.

edit2: I think yours is still awesome.

Drunk hiaku?

Isn't the format 5/7/5?

edit: syllables, not words.

edit2: I think yours is still awesome.
Traditionally yes, but not always in modern forms.
Syllables is also only the english translation of the form that makes up the line, so a direct translation from japanese (assuming it could be translated easily) may actually have a different number of syllables.

Traditionally yes, but not always in modern forms.
Syllables is also only the english translation of the form that makes up the line, so a direct translation from japanese (assuming it could be translated easily) may actually have a different number of syllables.

Ah - cool. I always assumed there was something us roundeyes were missing when it came to Haiku - I suppose something that short and distilled would be almost impossible to translate well....

Speedie used to do good Haiku but only in some terrible font

sorta not really related...

when i when i was working up the road from the XXXX brewery, i shared a cubicle with a fundamentalist christian guy. he would carry on like a pork chop when they were mashing and would exclaim "I HATE THE SMELL OF HOPS!"

i tried to educate him, but fk me, it was as though i was telling him that the world was round and there is no such thing as god

never before had i such a strong urge to shake someone until their neck snapped

I love the smell of mash in, and even the end of mash, however I think the boil can often smell sort of gross. I figure it could be the things that are being boiled off.

Well guys read it and weep...but my missus managed an all grain brew by herself last week ...and I must say it smells sweet!

Stephen Kentucky
His dear wife, she loves to brew
With recipes in Haiku

Latest posts

Back