Hydrometers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NME69

Reaction score
Was wondering about the accuracy of hydrometers .
It seems logical to test this in plain water where a reading of zero should be observed. Is this correct .

I believe they are calibrated to a reading of 0.0 in water of 20 degrees celicius.

If you make measurements of liquid outside 20 degrees, you'll generally need to adjust the gravity accordingly.

Naturally, the older and more used a hydrometer gets, the less likely it is to give a good reading. If its had a bit of a beating around and been put through a fair bit of stress from heat and the elements, you may find it might be off when you measure it in 20 degree water, and a small error in measurement at 0.0 can often mean a bigger error in higher gravity liquids

I picked up a very old hydrometer from Evil-bay for a few dollars and its great. It is callibrated at 15 deg C and is to a larger scale than I have seen on modern day hyro's. I do like to one Ross sells with the built in thermometer though.

Steve

I think you will find Muggas that they are calibrated to a reading of 1.000 at 20C.

HEY Lee, I dont know if I should crack one of your beers before or after my July off the beer.
I think I might wait. Hope u can wait for the feedback.

Steve

The Pilsner probably hasn't fully attenuated yet so definately don't touch that one yet. The 60minute IPA, is tasting pretty nice out the keg at the moment. Not sure how its doing in bottle form. Its been what 2 weeks now maybe? Probably need to wait till late June... Looking forward to reading the July off thread to see how it goes for you mate!

The most important thing with hydrometers (apart from being sure it reads 0 at 20C) is ensuring you are taking a proper sample.

You should stir your wort very well before taking a sample to ensure it is homogenous, unless you mix your liquid malt/kit up well you will have a more concentrated solution at the bottom where your tap is.

The hydrometer measures the density of a fluid relative to distilled water. If you float the hydrometer in distilled water (at the correct temperature) it will read 1.000

Latest posts

Back