Hydrometer Use Query

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Brown

Reaction score
Ok, first brew ever almost ready for bottling, I was just wondering, after using a hydrometer to measure the OG, do you dispose of the wort you used to take the reading, or open the fermenter and tip it back in. I was concerned the latter could result in infection, and the former could alter the consistency of the wort, not to mention the waste factor if you take multiple readings...

What are everyones thoughts?

definately do not tip it back into the fermenter, this is asking for trouble. It is considered wastage, but its a necessary part of the brewing process. In the grand scheme of things, your only looking at about 150ml -200ml per test, give or take. A small price to pay for good beer....

Most brewers take advantage of hydrometer testing. Smell the beer. Look at it, and taste it. Yes its warm, and its not finished, but by doing so, it gives you an understanding of what is happening in the brewing process, and after a while you will be able to taste a sample, and relate that to how the beer will be when bottled. As you get more experience, you will learn how long your recipes are likely to take, and the hydrometer readings really become just a confirmation of that.

Eventually it will cut down to as low as 3 readings. An initial reading, a reading when you think its done, and a confirmation 24hrs later. (some take a further reading to be sure, but after you've done the same recipe a couple of dozen times.....I know what my hydrometer is going to tell me, even before I take the reading. I still do it anyway, just to be sure. Especially if I'm bottling instead of kegging. And particularly if I'm bottling in glass.)

Oh, and some plants love wort. Lots of nutrients. As long as the plant is happy in acidic conditions (pH5.2-5.8) :D

definately do not tip it back into the fermenter, this is asking for trouble. It is considered wastage, but its a necessary part of the brewing process. In the grand scheme of things, your only looking at about 150ml -200ml per test, give or take. A small price to pay for good beer....

+1 from me - definitely don't tip it back in. Drink it and enjoy the sweet wort :wub:

Oh, and some plants love wort. Lots of nutrients. As long as the plant is happy in acidic conditions (pH5.2-5.8) :D

FWIW, the pH will actually be as low as 3.9 depending on the style of beer and where it is at in the ferment.

Yep, as above.
Don't tip it back in, don't throw it away, smell it, drink it.

Also ensure you dont leave any dregs of wort hanging around on your tap aswell as this will cause infections when it comes to bottling time.

Take reasing, smell and taste. help build your palate to acertain all the flavours and smells associated with the style you're brewing.

Cheers.

Also ensure you dont leave any dregs of wort hanging around on your tap aswell as this will cause infections when it comes to bottling time.

Good point.
I bought one of those pump-action squirty bottles and have filled it with a sanitizer mix.
After sampling or just before racking/bottling I give a couple of squirts up the tap's spout, works mint.

8125004887952.jpg

Cool thanks everyone, I never thought of drinking it :D
Good point about cleaning the tap too

+1 on the smell and taste the sample for me.

Not only does it help you develop an understanding of the process and build valuable experience with your brews but in the event of something unwanted occuring, you'll pick it up early, long before it hits the bottle.

After many brews and religiously taking measurements every day I very rarely check my hydrometer now.

I used to take a sample, measure it, smell and taste the results. I can normally tell pretty quickly now when the brew is finished. I normally rack for at least a week and then keg so if the ferment is slightly underdone its more forgiving than bottles but I still grab the trusty hydrometer if I need to check - eg if a brew seems to have stopped fermenting earlier than expected. A reading will tell me if it has stalled or finished.

The hydrometer reading can't be read from inside the fermenter?

I don't use one myself - but will get a refractometer in the future. Why go to all that hassle? :p

But a refractometer is not as reliable as a hydrometer for fermented wort is it?

Anyway, I take a refractometer reading for OG and a hydrometer one at the end, 2-3 weeks depending on the beer, to make sure its finished. So far it always has been.

And then I taste it! :p

I have brewed for years -k and k mostly - and have used a hydrometer in my early years. Recently I have been more adventurous in my brewing and have again purchased a hydrometer. I place it straight into the wort once finished filling, before adding yeast to get a reading. I generally know when a brew has finished because it has bubbled for the expected time at whatever temp it is brewing at. I have had no problems with an unfinished brew yet. I figure if you draw some brew to measure the FG you will draw air into the fermenter to replace the wort removed which could introduce infection. When I bottle I lift the lid of the fermenter to allow air in so the beer flows into the bottles. This doesnt seem to worry my brew so the next step of lifting the lid to take a FG directly from the fermenter shouldnt be any more worry. I sterilise the hydrometer and take this reading directly before bottling. I wouldnt recommend opening the lid during fermentation, like every couple of days, but if you think the brew is finished and you remove the lid to bottle anyway-no harm no foul?

sorry, i dont normally snap, but....

If drawing air into the fermenter by running a sample off the tap is more likely to cause infection than putting your hydrometer directly into the wort, I'll eat my arse. With mustard.
:rolleyes:

Ive just done a brew. Its sitting on 1010 atm. This is the 4th day of fermenting. Dunno weather to bottle or leave it for a few more days. I checked it yesterday and it was sitting around the same.

What was your recipe, and what temperature were you fermenting at?

Note: Never be too keen to bottle. It's a lot better to leave it a little longer (clears the beer also) then bottling too soon and ending up with bottle bombs!

Just a Coopers lager kit.

1 x Can Lager Extract
1 x 1kg Brewing Sugar
23L

Been sitting around ~26 deg the whole time.

Yep. It is quite cloudy.

Tastes ok. Leaves a nice sweet bitter taste in my mouth.

Most of the froth is gone on top of the wort There is a thick crusting around the top sides of the fermenter. Most condensation has cleared.

But a refractometer is not as reliable as a hydrometer for fermented wort is it?

I've been wondering the same thing and curiosity led me to the isntructions for beersmith which say -

"Note, however, that using Brix readings directly from a refractometer on fermenting or fermented wort does not provide an accurate reading. Refractometers are calibrated to read plain sucrose in water and the Brix readings need to be adjusted to get accurate specific gravity readings for wort."

cheers

grant

Back