Taller measuring cylinder for FG hydrometer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewLizard

Reaction score
Hi,

I just got one of these from Brewing America on Amazon, and it's fantastic, but it sits a lot taller, so I can't actually measure FG in my standard 100 mL cylinder. On the plus side, I can still use it to measure OG in this cylinder, as the readings 1.040 onwards are submerged.

Can anyone recommend a taller-than-average measuring cylinder for use with an FG hydrometer? Ideally a narrower-but-taller 100 mL cylinder. I don't really want to go to a 250 mL cylinder due to the extra width and extra beer wasted.

Thanks

Trouble I have found when trying to use a tall narrow measuring cylinder is it can be hard to stop the hydrometer hitting and sticking to the side and giving a false reading.

If you want to take small regular samples you could use a refractometer for FG and just allow for alcohol.

I've decided to just make my own from some 30 mm OD x 2 mm wall thickness clear acrylic tubing, which approximately matches the size of a 100 mL measuring cylinder. This way, I can just make it a bit taller and use about half as much beer as with a 250 mL cylinder.

Just an update.

I made my own measuring cylinder by turning a base from some 50 mm aluminium round bar and epoxying it to the acrylic tube above. Really happy with how it turned out. It only uses 150-175 mL of beer and is super stable with the weighty base.

Attachments

• DSC_0171.jpeg
    DSC_0171.jpeg
    791 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0172.jpeg
    DSC_0172.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0173.jpeg
    DSC_0173.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0175.jpeg
    DSC_0175.jpeg