Hydrometer & FG

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reegs210

Reaction score
Hoy Hoy

Interested to hear people's thoughts on taking one sample of maybe 300mL or so a few days before fermentation is expected to be complete and sealing the sample with the hydrometer in it to determine if there is still fermentation happening over the course of 2-3 days

I realise this does not mimic the entire batch, but surely there should be enough yeast in there to give an accurate reading over those few days?

Sample would be kept at the same conditions as the entire batch in terms of temperature/location

I ferment in carboys and its a bit of a PITA to take multiple samples to check if fermentation has completed. I'm more worried about infection from drawing these samples than anything else.

Cheers
Reg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think you've answered your own question with the statement the sample won't mimic what's happening in your FV.

If you have an expected FG and have a few batches under your belt, surely with a good allowance for fermentation to occur plus a few days to a week for clean up would allow you to only take one sample and confirm fermentation is completed? Personally I always allow two weeks (I use US-05 exclusively at the moment) and then take a sample on the 14th day, if it's at or within 0.002 of my anticipated FG I start the cold crashing process or just keg/bottle as I see fit for the style.

Do you have plastic fermenters with a tap at your disposal? If the sanitation of taking a sample is a big concern for you perhaps you'd be more comfortable with a $15 bunnings fermenter as an alternative and able to take samples to your hearts content :D

Yeah, two weeks is usually the benchmark for me as well.

Currently using glass carboys for my brews and so have to siphon out hydrometer samples.

No real issue in taking multiple readings, was just trying to save a bit of time, whenever I possibly can, and get other brewers perspective on doing this

Cheers
Reg

slash22000 said:
Solution! Less than $20 and totally worth it.
Think I'll give that a shot. Has to beat a 2 x 50ml syringes and some silicone tubing (current process)

reegs210 said:
Hoy Hoy

Interested to hear people's thoughts on taking one sample of maybe 300mL or so a few days before fermentation is expected to be complete and sealing the sample with the hydrometer in it to determine if there is still fermentation happening over the course of 2-3 days

I realise this does not mimic the entire batch, but surely there should be enough yeast in there to give an accurate reading over those few days?

Sample would be kept at the same conditions as the entire batch in terms of temperature/location

I ferment in carboys and its a bit of a PITA to take multiple samples to check if fermentation has completed. I'm more worried about infection from drawing these samples than anything else.

Cheers
Reg
That is not going to work for many reasons. Either get yourself a wine thief and some starsan, or if you are super paranoid about getting infections when sampling (though it shouldn't be an issue with correct sanitation) move to plastic fermenters or better bottles that have a tap at the bottom (though you can still get an infection through those).

surely with that wine thief it has to come into contact with the beer and therefore requires adequate sterilisation and sanitation for each sample?

DJ_L3ThAL said:
surely with that wine thief it has to come into contact with the beer and therefore requires adequate sterilisation and sanitation for each sample?
Yes, of course, but a simple Starsan spray does the job just fine. Takes <10 seconds.

Its not really leaps and bounds ahead of what the OP is looking for as it still requires starsan.

But I agree starsan would definitely help quam sanitation concerns

I'm sure it won't be the first time that a sanitised wine thief is used to take a gravity sample from a glass carboy. Either way the original proposition is not going to work.

I thought it would be a long shot, and I probably should have guessed the answers beforehand

I'll continue taking samples as normal, but I think I'll also experiment with what I'm suggesting and do a side by side for the next few brews I knock out. Couldn't hurt, and I'd be interested to see how close things are while monitoring one sample a couple of days before I would anticipate complete fermentation

Cheers
Reg

Sorry, I should also clarify that I sanitise every time I take a sample. My concerns were more about possible airborn wild yeast getting into my beer whilst sampling, even though this is fairly low risk (paranoia)

Check the outside diameter of the wine thief. It looks like the outside of a racking cane, which won't go into my 5L carboys.

If you are going to seal your sample up with your hydro you are going to have a problem with CO2 production as the ferment continues.

the thief looks good, but is it really much better than a siphon with a hand squeeze pump? I reckon submerging the whole thief would lead to a grater risk of infection than the tip of a siphon hose

GalBrew said:
If you are going to seal your sample up with your hydro you are going to have a problem with CO2 production as the ferment continues.
Would be sealed with glad wrap, along the same lines as the carboy

Alex.Tas said:
the thief looks good, but is it really much better than a siphon with a hand squeeze pump? I reckon submerging the whole thief would lead to a grater risk of infection than the tip of a siphon hose
I imagine that siphoning samples from a carboy would introduce a lot of oxygen to it? Plus wouldn't it waste a lot of beer?

Latest posts

Back