Hybrid Rye/smoke

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizier

Petite Mutant
Reaction score
Hi all, this was also posted here: HB&B

Here is my recipe so far for a feeling-out hybrid german ale for this afternoon/evening

Mash 60 mins:
250 Smoked
500 caramel rye
500 MO
500 carapils
100 carafa 1
60 black patent

60 mins boil

2kg dry light extract

15 hersbruker @ 30
15 hersbruker @ 15

Nottingham, would prefer 1007, but do not have on hand
Ferment around 16 deg C

19L Batch

I realise that there are probably a million rules being broken here, but does anything stick out as being plainly wrong?

Any thoughts appreciated
Dan

That is a lot of carapils, coupled with the cara rye and the extract you will get a very sweet full bodied beer. I'd suggest cutting the carapils by at least half.

Looks like it may be lacking in the IBU department as well, which will further increase the perceived sweetness.

Thanks heaps,

I will try 250 carapils and perhaps a 15g 60 min hop addition

Was trying to focus on the smoke and rye and let the hops take somewhat of a backseat.

If I let the liquor sit for a while (30-60 mins) before boilling, would this break much of the percievable sweetness down? Excuse my ignorances, but I am not up to scratch with any of the various rests associated with AG.

Thanks again
Dan

Wow a question I can answer through (some) experience. Rye not tasting it before I found sort of reminded me of Aech Sherlanker Rauch Marzen (sp?) so I think the flavors would be complimentary. I think it may be better to get rid of the carpils and reducing the cara rye to something smaller. The body of your beer should be okay because of the extract.

I think if you mash your grains at a lower temperature, I'm not sure 60-63C? it will increase the amount of fermentables which will ferment out and 'thin' you beer.

Thanks King Python, as it turned out (doing boil now) I left the carapils out alltogether. I was amazed at how un-smokey the resultant liquor was. Unfortunately, I think my mash temp was about 65, so a little high. I might add more LDME and increase the vol to 23L to avoid too much sweetness.

I mashed in a double boiler setup using my HUGE boil pot and a smaller 4L pot... worked a treat. I transferred the grain from the 4L pot to an empty boil pot for a batch sparge, and tipped the first liquor back in for the boil.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dan

No worries, with 250g it will be more in the background but the smokiness should come out as it ferments out. To get the real rauchbier taste I was told you need a lot more.

Adding LDME will only increase the percentage of unfermentable sugars, not decrease it.

Hi all, this was also posted here: HB&B

Here is my recipe so far for a feeling-out hybrid german ale for this afternoon/evening

Mash 60 mins:
250 Smoked
500 caramel rye
500 MO
500 carapils
100 carafa 1
60 black patent

60 mins boil

2kg dry light extract

15 hersbruker @ 30
15 hersbruker @ 15

Nottingham, would prefer 1007, but do not have on hand
Ferment around 16 deg C

19L Batch

I realise that there are probably a million rules being broken here, but does anything stick out as being plainly wrong?

Any thoughts appreciated
Dan

Having just used a small amount of smoked grain for the first time recently I can say that you should have a ship load of smoke aroma/flavour coming through :eek:
I used at modest amount, 60gms in a 37ltr post boil AG and it is quite noticable but not dominating. Yours will be interesting, look forward to your comments when tasting time comes around.

BYB

BYB

Latest posts

Back