Hunter Valley Chocolate Chili Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brend0

Reaction score
I tried this on Saturday arvo at the Taphouse Sydney, and I have been thinking of doing something similiar.

Has anyone tried adding chili to beer? What did you use, chili? cayanne pepper? How much did you use and would you do it again?

Thanks in advance!

Fury has put some of my chilli in a couple of his beers. They were dried and blended and chucked in the boil. One turned out pretty good. You got a slight chilli bite when you drank it (and a surprise the next day :lol: ).

yeah i have added some chillis as mom said. i used 6 really hot dried chillies and blended them to a fine powder.
then added them to the boil..

the beer was an amber ale. the first was better than the second, you got a slight chilli in the back of your throat nothing over the top though.

I tried this on Saturday arvo at the Taphouse Sydney, and I have been thinking of doing something similiar.

Has anyone tried adding chili to beer? What did you use, chili? cayanne pepper? How much did you use and would you do it again?

Thanks in advance!

Few years ago.

I believe it was a small dried birdseye in each bottle at bottling time.
Getting through one was a struggle! Two was murder.

The other beer I thought was interesting was the ANZAC biscuit beer which had a strong vanilla taste to it, i probably couldn't drink to many of them but i certainly did enjoy it.

Has anyone done a vanilla beer?

The other beer I thought was interesting was the ANZAC biscuit beer which had a strong vanilla taste to it, i probably couldn't drink to many of them but i certainly did enjoy it.

Has anyone done a vanilla beer?
Not straight Vanilla but I have added it to plenty of my Stouts etc in the secondary after giving a pod a little bit of time soaking in some vodka. Its a fine line to walk flavour wise, as its very easy to over do, luckily though it seems to die away with storage.

Brend0,

We have given it a crack ;)

We used chilli oil made from smokin' hot chillis, Dorset Nagas.

6mls of oil to 600L of robust porter. The porter had a good whack of Chocolate malt, the goal was to give a dark bitter chocolate flavour to the beer.

We were worried about killing the head on the beer, but it seems to have come out OK.

Lots of fun.

Keith

Brend0,

6mls of oil to 600L of robust porter. The porter had a good whack of Chocolate malt, the goal was to give a dark bitter chocolate flavour to the beer.

We were worried about killing the head on the beer, but it seems to have come out OK.

Lots of fun.

Keith

That was a favourite of mine of Saturday Keith, kudos to you sir!

Hey Keith, is this beer available at Potters?
I'm tempted to swing by after work some time this week and try it out!

I made a Vanilla Bourbon Porter in November. I steeped vanilla beans in bourbon and added along with bourbon barrel oak chips in secondary. So far, I have been under-whelmed with this one... The flavours haven't really blended yet and the head retention has been murdered!!

I will continue to pull one out every 3-4 weeks to sample to see if time will help it some.

Hey Keith, is this beer available at Potters?
I'm tempted to swing by after work some time this week and try it out!
Mr Muggus,

Shouldn't you be too busy pickin' grapes and stuff?

The friendly crew at the taphouse asked us to hold off serving the beer elsewhere for a couple of weeks.

We will put it on tap Sun 27th Feb for drinks with the Brewer and leave it on tap till we run out.

Cheers,

Keith

Mr Muggus,

Shouldn't you be too busy pickin' grapes and stuff?

The friendly crew at the taphouse asked us to hold off serving the beer elsewhere for a couple of weeks.

We will put it on tap Sun 27th Feb for drinks with the Brewer and leave it on tap till we run out.

Cheers,

Keith
I SHOULD be pickin' grapes, but we're trying to let them hang as long as humanly possible...easier said than done.

Hopefully there'll be some left after Drinks with the Brewer!

Hey,

I have experimented with a few beers and chilli. The first was a LC bright ale clone with one fresh Birds Eye chili per L. I love chilli and lots of it so it was great but a bit too much chilli / vegitable taste to it.

The next experiment was with a couple bottles of a batch of APA. This one had two tiny Prik Key Nu chillies per stubbie. This was a bit better than the last, the heat was right but still had that vegitable taste to it. Been talking to a friend and will probably try this again but in an IPA with more hop aroma to compliment chilli taste.

The current experiment is with a american wheat beer. I seconday fermented with three mangos and one fresh Jolkia Bhut aka Ghost Chilli (which is the hottest chilli in the world) I was going for the chilli heat but not the taste. Anyway this worked a treat the heat is just perfect for me HOT! and goes really well with the fruity mango really refreshing and because only one chilli was used you cant taste any of that vegitable taste.

Cheers.

Check out my new post. They were pickled chilli's that I grew myself.

I brewed a batch of Aussie Pale Ale with 600gms of LDM, 600gms of Dex and 200gms of Maltodextrin + 500gms of wheat malt extract. I kegged it and had enough left over for 1 750ml long neck and a 375ml stubbie. I emailed Matsos brewery of Broome, who make a fantastic chilli beer and they told me they use a chilli syrup, so for carbonation for the bottles I made a sugar syrup and boiled it with 1 large home grown chilli for like 10 mins. I tried the stubby after about 2 months and it was rough as guts. the long neck has been in the fridge daring me to try it.

Maybe this weekend. I'll report back...

The APA was good though :super:

Brend0,

Lots of fun.

Keith

I just tried this at the Taphouse. for such a small amount of chilli added to the beer, it sure had a whack of heat. Great work Keith, first chilli beer I have liked.

Latest posts

Back