Hows This Look?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUANNE

no chiller and botulism free since 2010
Reaction score
my old man and myself have a bit of a weird beer brewoff once in a while and thought tis time we would go with a carrot beer. just after poeples thoughts on how this looks so far. plan is to grate up a kilo of carrots and and boil berfore adding to the mash and thinking if not carroty enough to add another kilo to the boil or cube carrot.

Ingredients

Amt Name Type # %/IBU 4.95 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 87.3 % 0.35 kg Caramel Malt - 120L (Briess) (236.4 EBC) Grain 2 6.2 % 0.37 kg Maple Syrup (69.0 EBC) Sugar 3 6.5 % 50.00 g Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 27.2 IBUs 1.0 pkg Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) [124.21 ml] Yeast 5

-

I'd got for the same approach as pumpkin beer brewers. Bake them and throw them in the mash. I think boiling the carrot wouldn't be much cop.

You could even chuck in some spices and get it to taste a little like carrot cake if you worked at it. Good luck!

I'd got for the same approach as pumpkin beer brewers. Bake them and throw them in the mash. I think boiling the carrot wouldn't be much cop.

You could even chuck in some spices and get it to taste a little like carrot cake if you worked at it. Good luck!

I agree with the spices, cinnamon,nutmeg or vanilla or something like that but only lightly IMO.

Everyone has their own tastes and I am sure you know what will match well.

or cube carrot.

I nearly spat my beer when I read that!

Mate there haven't been many sugary things that have passed my eyes without me thinking Can I ferment that or what?
I'm yet to make a pumpkin ale (keep putting it off) and I have seriously thought about carrots too. What about caramelising them a bit in the oven like you do with a roast and then process them up and straight into the mash?

Watching with interest.

edit- as nick said!

Mmmmm.... Good idea guys, think carrot cake :)

I wonder how spices effect head retention?

Sweet potato is going cheap at the moment, why not give that a whirl?

Less peeling involved.

Mmmmm.... Good idea guys, think carrot cake :)

I wonder how spices effect head retention?

No problems, several beers like wheat beers often have spices thrown in them, have a look at a Hoegaarden recipe

this would be a great beer for style by pictures :ph34r:

Sweet potato is going cheap at the moment, why not give that a whirl?

Less peeling involved.

tried that last time with no great succes in getting the flavour into the final beer.

Cube carrot, lol. effin hilarious

thanks guys. something to think about for sure. i was thinking about using some spices but then decided with the belgian yeast i should get a spiciness coming through and dont know if it may be overkill with the the maple syrup. might give the caramalisation idea a go though thinking maybe grate the carrots and slowly cook them down in a pot, im just not sure about baking for some reason.

thanks guys. something to think about for sure. i was thinking about using some spices but then decided with the belgian yeast i should get a spiciness coming through and dont know if it may be overkill with the the maple syrup. might give the caramalisation idea a go though thinking maybe grate the carrots and slowly cook them down in a pot, im just not sure about baking for some reason.

Boil some carrots in water and taste the water.

Then glaze some carrots with honey and/or spices and roast them in the oven. I know which one id prefer.

Boil some carrots in water and taste the water.

Then glaze some carrots with honey and/or spices and roast them in the oven. I know which one id prefer.

stop giving him ideas, as i want to kick his arse on this challange :lol:

Latest posts

Back