How would you track someone down

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyPaul

Reaction score
[SIZE=10.5pt]Hi guys - this is completely un beer related but I have run out of ideas[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Does anyone know how to find an address for someone.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Let me be upfront - this is not about doing anything untoward in anyway but rather I simply need an address to serve some paper at.[/SIZE]

Edit -Second thoughts about positing "too much info" that you guys dont really need to know or care about.

do you think they would have bought a property or would they be renting at their new location? You could get someone to do a property search on their names.

or take it to channel 7's today tonight - they love this kind of thing.

They are renting - I know the rough area but thats about it.

tabloid media is that last place I want to end up

I track my wife all the time. I installed an invisible app on her Android phone (seekdroid).

I know when she is out shopping and not at work.... :)

Ring one of his mates. The most sensible one! Explain the situation, give him your word your son will never know how you got the address and make it perfectly clear you are only sending a letter, not going to burn his house down.

Edak said:
I track my wife all the time. I installed an invisible app on her Android phone (seekdroid).

I know when she is out shopping and not at work.... :)
Or perhaps she just leaves her phone at work...

I believe you can view the electoral role but they'd have to have correctly enrolled for that to work.

Not sure what your problem is, but if you're sending letters you might wish to speak to your local legal aid office or court house who might also have ideas.

he doesnt have too many close mates - the challenge is decidng who I can go to that wont tell him I contacted him.

Since he got with his partenr she has gradually alienated him from most of his old mates to the point none of them see him anymore

spryzie said:
I believe you can view the electoral role but they'd have to have correctly enrolled for that to work.

Not sure what your problem is, but if you're sending letters you might wish to speak to your local legal aid office or court house who might also have ideas.
Woah woah woah.... is the electoral role public????

Might seem trivial but look for his missus on Facebook - everyone's missus over-shares on Facebook.

Facebook Graph Search will tell you a bunch of stuff about most people if you've got the time to really learn how to exploit it - even if they don't have an account or use their real name - everyone has friends who doesn't understand that the internet isn't private.

Even if your intentions are honourable (and I have no doubt they are), I find the idea of public forum posts about tracking down private details of a citizen distasteful.

Edak said:
How else would democracy function?

There are rules around it, but every citizen has the right to see it.

Www.aec.gov.au

spryzie said:
Not sure what your problem is.
Sorry about the lack of detail - the original post was a longwinded story that in hindsight didnt need to be posted.

In short - a falling out with my son and his partner has resulted in them refusing to let us see our grand daughter.

Have got legal advice and the courts expect you to try mediation first - which I am happy to. But I need an address for the mediator to contact them.

Edak said:
It's a common misconception - I thought it was too.

But I contacted them today - I am only allowed to look up and check my own details.

Or to report someone that I beleive is wrongly enrolled. Even then I dont get to see what they have recorded - i just get to reprot that I think it might be wrong. For example if you were getting someone elses elecion junk mail at your house you could report it...

I am imagining a piece of paper....

|.......YOU'VE BEEN SERVED!....|
|...................................................|
|..SINCERELY,............................|
|......GRUMPY CAT......................|

EDIT: Forgot to insert the point of the post. I was entirely sure that the electoral role was private because of the privacy laws...

manticle said:
Doesn't the legal advice include ideas on how to make contact?
yeah - two options

go to court and spend a couple of grand to get what is know as a "location order" which is where the court orders centrelink (or other govt Dept) to tell it the address.

or hire a private detective - which i enquired about. Starts at $600 to locate someone but will add up if surveilance is required and then you add $150per hour plus mileage and expenses.

Hmmm, their.website says it's available for public inspection at any office.

You're not technically allowed to browse it without cause though...

GrumpyPaul said:
It's a common misconception - I thought it was too.

But I contacted them today - I am only allowed to look up and check my own details.

Or to report someone that I beleive is wrongly enrolled. Even then I dont get to see what they have recorded - i just get to reprot that I think it might be wrong. For example if you were getting someone elses elecion junk mail at your house you could report it...

GrumpyPaul said:
...has resulted in them refusing to let us see our grand daughter.
I have no idea what has been going on and don't want to know either. But I think it is important to realise one thing:

Your grand daughter is first and foremost your son's daughter. He and the mother of the child can decide who sees their daughter and who not. This can be tough on grand parents and others but is the reality and needs to be accepted.

manticle said:
Even if your intentions are honourable (and I have no doubt they are), I find the idea of public forum posts about tracking down private details of a citizen distasteful.
Manticle - I probably agree with you.

Thats why edited my original post to remove the backgournd story. It didnt really need to be on here.

Public forum posts about your own dirty laundry, so to speak are distasteful.

But asking a 'how would you deal a problem' question isnt that distasteful is it?

I was just hoping that someone misht have an idea that might help.

Latest posts

Back