How To Tell If Fermenting Beer Is Infected?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobsta

Reaction score
i noticed today that the top of the krausen (foamy shit) in my fermenter has these light brown streaks on it. is this normal or could this be a sign of an infection. and also, what are some common signs of an infection either in the fermenter or in the bottles. this is my first brew and i would prefer not to drink infected beer so i would like to know how to spot it.

Most likely normal. When you take your hydrometer reading after fermentation, get into a habit of smelling and tasting it.

If it smells and tastes wrong (i.e. sour, acidic) it's likely infected.

Here's a nice few pages of reading on infections/ruined beer, etc. How To Brew.

The light brown streaks are normal; at least they are for every one of my batches.

Regarding infections, there are 2 general types: bacteria and wild yeast. Bacterial infections will generally produce acids which will sour the beer. There are bacteria strains that will produce cooked vegetable aromas/flavours, strains that produce diacetyl (butterscotch), and other unusual things. Wild yeasts will produce phenols. Things like cloves, bandaids, plastic, nail polish remover, smoke, spice/pepper, etc. Under unusual conditions, normal beer yeast will also produce some pretty bad phenols. These conditions are very poor yeast health, underpitching, and insufficient (almost nonexistent) oxygenation. Very high fermentation temperatures will also do the trick.

Unfortunately there is no real way of detecting an infected brew by looks alone, other than having a look under a microscope. The homebrewing literature states that a ring around the neck of a bottle at the surface of the beer is a sign, but I'm not 100% convinced of this. I've had homebrews with rings that showed no signs of infection, but perhaps the infection was indeed there but hadn't gained a foothold yet. This document describes a lot of beer flavours/aromas, and their causes.

A friend of mine who is no longer an active judge would always have a copy handy at competitions. I got it from him, but I have no idea where it came from. I know he didn't write it, but that's about it.

Not to get off topic but is there any danger in tasting the beer if it is infected. Can it make you sick???

No, it won't make you sick. The worst thing that you can get from beer is a hangover or the runs if you drink too much live yeast from the bottom of the bottle.

Not to get off topic but is there any danger in tasting the beer if it is infected. Can it make you sick???

Hi BBGB
no. Infected beer mightn't taste good but it's not going to make you seriously ill. Drunk to excess it might give you a headache, but that can happen with uninfected beer too! :p
Cheers
Stephen.

Latest posts

Back