How To Spend Craftbrewer Gift Vouchers ? Keg Gear Or Grain Bills?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is buying unmilled grain, storing it, buying a mill and cracking it more 'comfortable' than ordering each batch from the home brew store cracked, mixed and vac sealed.

The only benefits to milling are long term cost of ownership and being able to make recipes on a whim with stock on hand if you're that way inclined.

As for a refractometer, I don't understand how that makes it more 'comfortable' unless you're the kind of person that stresses out too much. I don't use one and always hit my OG targets.

I understand that a keg fridge is comfortable though. Nothing beats it.

I ordered some yeast on Sunday and paid for them to be expressed posted to me...still haven't arrived, which I can only put down to public holidays and lots of orders building up and causing a small delay. I do have yeast at home that I could use (us-05) but I want a different strain to try out. If I had to wait this long every now and then to brew, well, that wouldn't be as comfortable as being able to crush my own grain and change my mind on what specialty malts to use 5 mins before brewing.

If you know that your targets for OG are always hit, how do you measure for it? I use my refractometer before the boil and after the boil. I find that taking a little bit of wort and holding it for 15 seconds to cool and then finding out the gravity straight away is a lot more comfortable.

But if this is turning into a debate about what is more comfortable etc etc we are going to get nowhere as it is a matter of opinion. I find it more comfortable to brew with a 3 Vessel brewery with a refractometer and a grain mill to crush my own grain - others don't. I think the best advice was given by dan, get equipment not grain.

Cheers
Phil

Sorry about my rushed post when I got a minute at work today. I probably should've pointed out that I need my mill & refractometer to brew comfortably.

Personally I rarely know what I'm brewing prior to brewday so a mill is essential for me because ordering grain in advance really isn't an option. I understand that there are people who are more organised than me who won't have this problem. I like being able to easily check my gravity at any time on brewday so the refractometer is also pretty handy. Having said that, I got my refractometer from ebay for $30 which is better than craftbrewers price so I'd suggest the ebay option if you want a refractometer.

If you have 3 kegs ready to be converted then a false bottom & a burner may be the way to go. If you have a missus then brewing away from the kitchen is probably a good idea. Mrs Hatchy is very understanding but didn't appreciate me turning the kitchen into a brewery.

I agree with Dan & Phil. Equipment rather than ingredients.

How much are the vouchers worth? That would probably help us work out what you can get.

My 2c worth - I'd go a keg setup. I got mine from Craftbrew and they looked after me well.

I only have 2 kegs at the moment, really should have 4 or 5 as a minimum setup I think.

Nothing wrong with that - it's in the original wording though - like suggesting that to watch a video comfortably a $5000 leather couch is essential. I know what you mean now but the original interpretation leads people to thinking AG is inaccessible unless they spend the big bucks.

I think the best advice was given by dan, get equipment not grain.

Cheers
Phil

Definitely. Plus one and all that stuff. Also equipment that is exclusive to an HB shop (or cheaper there)

Whatever you do, don't just buy ingredients for the next few batches. Get some gear. Once the vouchers are gone it's going to be a lot easier to justify $20 for the next batch instead of $200 for a keg setup/brewery gear.

yes i agree it easier to 'justify' to SWMBO funds that result in something ie ingredients.... justifying for equipment is always harder...

in terms of this thread... i am a kit brewer....insert gasps and disgust here......... i found that when i went kegging the taste of my beers improved tenfold.

i think a good kit brew kegged is a much better beer than the same beer bottled (primed)... i've got a mate just gone AG brewing so we're going to do a test soon... big batch, all fermented at his joint, then he bottles half and i keg the other half... taste test.

+ 1 for kegging.

LOL reading this thread. Classic good (productive) debate, showing that there is lot's of room for personal opinion and preference when it comes to HB.

Totally agree with equipment, not grain.

I went AG first and kegs second.

There were aspects of bottling I actually liked, but now that I've got kegs, I wouldn't go back. While filling a bottle off a keg isn't totally the same, it can be done. But, you can't (really) just choose to pour a big glass or a small glass off a bottle, whereas you can off a keg. It's a different kind of satisfaction (and freedom). And, it is definitely time and energy saving in terms of cleaning, storage space, waiting time, etc.

Having access to a reg and a CO2 bottle is a big plus. I had to get a CO2 bottle tested -- cost me ~$70 for test and fill (included valve being replaced and a paint strip as it was an ex-helium bottle). Test is good for 10-years (unlike a SCUBA tank, which is only good for 1-year -- rip-off, as the same tanks in the US are good for 5-years after testing -- RANT :icon_offtopic: ).

Yes, you need a separate fridge, so you have to think about how SWMBO will react. We're running four (one for the house, the overflow garage fridge, my fermenting fridge and my keg fridge) and I do constantly get s*it re electricity costs (but who always leaves the lights on, eh? :)

After trying a big double glass door job (used) and having it die, I got a chest freezer for my kegs for only $250, new (got a deal). It holds four and doesn't even need a chest collar (but I'll add one, so I can put taps on outside without drilling through case). If you are happy with only 3 kegs, you can probably get by with less than $200 if you watch for specials. Or, any old fridge will do (just got a 'new' -- used, but newer and small, fermenting fridge off ebay for $61).

I like AG and wouldn't go back to kits either, but if I was looking to get someone started, then I'd recommend FWK. Minimal hassle and good chance of good outcome. If I was time poor, or limited on space, etc., I'd give up the AG and keep the kegs and go to FWK.

Agree that it comes down to you and your preferences. Also agree that you can get AG equipment from lots of places -- including places that aren't HB shops -- but keg stuff (other than fridge) is a lot more specific and CB is definitely a good option for that.

I do think the one keg and a pony tap is also good advice, but, just to make life difficult, I really like my Celli taps...

Brian

if you already have some kegs then half an hour with a grinder and you have pot for biab. buy a burner of some description and a thermometer and away you go.as for refracts and mills they can be fun toys once youre right in and commited but far from necasary. other wise with a keg setup you can never go wrong, nothing sucks more imo than cleaning and sanitising bottles.

thanks everyone

i guess the challenge for me partly is to convince myself and the better half that i can make better beer thats why i was going to get some grain and do "small" batches to build on the experience front..... before i go serious on keg setup etc. Most of the brews have been ok but she prefers the store bought LCPA or JS or fat yak etc (better beers) so far.

i was thinking i could tweak the method a bit more on BIAB no chill to see if i can make a beer as good 1st as i have all the gear to do this now if bottling.

might do a FW kit while i consider the options and make a shopping list.....

along with the standard brewing gear (fermenters, bottles, starsan, capper, etc etc) i have

temp controlled fridge
2 ring burner (old but works)
20L and 15L and 12L SS pots and assorted cooking gear
swiss voile
pids, dig temp probes etc
3 50L kegs
reasonable workshop / brewing area :)

i was considering the small batches (20 - 15L) and using a spice grinder to crush the grain for now.... and continuing the BIAB no chill efforts before i got serious on those 50L kegs for 3v or big BIAB setup

I will also keep my eyes open for a brew day somewhere to maybe see how others have set up their systems :)

Thanks again
Maheel

I will also keep my eyes open for a brew day somewhere to maybe see how others have set up their systems
fill in you location on your profile and its easier for people to know where your located and can give you a yell if they are brewing.

I found it extrememyl useful to check out several brew rigs before deciding on what i wanted. also seeing a couple of brews on differant rigs gives you an idea about whats invoved on brew day for each type of set up. also good for deciding on what type of rig you want.

fill in you location on your profile and its easier for people to know where your located and can give you a yell if they are brewing.

I found it extrememyl useful to check out several brew rigs before deciding on what i wanted. also seeing a couple of brews on differant rigs gives you an idea about whats invoved on brew day for each type of set up. also good for deciding on what type of rig you want.

Done location = Brisbane
got a good mate up Caboolture way who has 3V style but go to get up there to check it out

Done location = Brisbane
got a good mate up Caboolture way who has 3V style but go to get up there to check it out

Check out the AHB meetings section, there's usually brewdays in Brisbane listed in there.
One coming up soon in fact.

You might want to come along to a BABBs meeting as well Mate. You said you wanted to be sure you could brew something you (and SWMBO) liked as well as the commercial offerings. The club will give you an opportunity to taste what other people have brewed, as well as to ask questions about gear, etc. Next meeting is 27 January.

http://www.babbrewers.com/

Back