How to put finings or hops into fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that looks like something that could be quite easily knocked up, Mason jar drill a couple of holes and a couple of 'O' rings.
I still dont understand how it works.

How do you seal the holes in the mason jar?

Silastic?

What razz says, they will be welded in, I wrote 'O' rings and should have wrote grommets edited now.
If you know anyone with a tig welder you could get them welded in.

Just to add my 2c, I've also have a few SS Unitanks and I want to keep that natural carbonation in the finished beer, yet I need to add finings otherwise I have too much wastage.
FYI I dry hop during active fermentation so that isn't a problem as CO2 is still being produced and will replace any lost. (I also bleed this off into my empty kegs to purge them).

Currently I use gelatin as a fining agent and have found that after venting the unit, adding the finings and cold crashing my finished beer is flat. So I need to add my finings without opening the unit. For the next batches I'll try some of the ideas mentioned above.

@krz, see my solution at the other place if you're interested, Google search for "dry hop airlock pressurised FV" - sorry I don't have time at the moment to re-post here but happy to answer any questions if of interest.

I assume we can't post direct links still.

Here is a top idea, a guy on HBT was selling them for $24 with a silicone seal a Mason Jar fits onto the large plate and gets held in position with a screw on lid tri clover fitting to valve.
lid-5-jpg.352602

I like it, I think that big flange would hinder dry hopping, would suit a collection bottle though, something similar, a tri clover fitting with a welded nipple and the thread to take a s/steel water bottle like the little one in the pic would be an ideal dry hopster.
924-n70nt3.jpg

I’ve got a norcal brink coming in November which I’m going to use with a Guten fermenter
(When they get here)
I’ve had too many infected brewsfrom dry hopping that I’m going to go the sealed / pressure fermenting way

Just to add my 2c, I've also have a few SS Unitanks and I want to keep that natural carbonation in the finished beer, yet I need to add finings otherwise I have too much wastage.
FYI I dry hop during active fermentation so that isn't a problem as CO2 is still being produced and will replace any lost. (I also bleed this off into my empty kegs to purge them).

Currently I use gelatin as a fining agent and have found that after venting the unit, adding the finings and cold crashing my finished beer is flat. So I need to add my finings without opening the unit. For the next batches I'll try some of the ideas mentioned above.
If you have a few unitanks what you could do is while fermentation is taking place in one run the gas to a second one with your dry hops in the second one purge the second one with the co2 then when you are ready to dry hop transfer straight into the second one. Dry hop accomplished. As for the gelatin, you will loose the carbonation, but you could still naturally carbonate your keg using sugar.

Going to attempt to Jimmy up a gelatine injector to the sampling port using some gas line and a co2 bottle...

I did my gelatin injection method today. Seemed to work ok with the gelatin solution going in without the beer or gas escaping.

Treated 3 x 7 gal unitanks using a gelatin mix in a party keg, blowing it up the sampling port.
Set the pressure in the party keg to higher than the unitank, slid a hose over the tap and then opened the tap.

Only concern is how much was delivered. Probably better to use a clear water filter housing with a pickup tube so you can see how much is going in.

Last edited:
^ update to my previous post. Kegged on Saturday and it worked a treat. A smaller see through container than the party keg would be ideal though, so you can see how much is being delivered.

Back