How To Loose 45 Litres Of Beer In 12 Hours!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingerlickin_B

Mo Bitta, Mo Betta!
Reaction score
Got home from work to find the back deck soaked in beer thanks to this:
aaaaargh4ti.jpg

Mother$#U^% :eek: &^%*^% :( ^$%$%* :angry:

Anyone else have a similar horror story to tell?

PZ.

*LOSE, not loose...lol*

:(

Lost a few litres before by leaving the tap open when racking but never that sort of amount. My deepest condolences for the passing.

At least it smells good in my very literal beer garden now...not sure how the surrounding plant life will react though :ph34r:

PZ.

Is that a keg seal? Did you lose a bottle of gas as well?

Bad luck...

Nah Ross, no gas loss...t'was a tap seal on my fermenter... :(

All new stainless fittings and silicon o-rings have been ordered...damn the expense :beerbang:

PZ.

Fingerlickin_B said:
Nah Ross, no gas loss...t'was a tap seal on my fermenter... :(
[post="91298"][/post]​

That looks just like an o-ring for a keg post and nothing like the one on the $1 to $2 taps my fermenter uses.
Do you have some kind of non standard fermenter? Something big maybe?

Thunderlips said:
Do you have some kind of non standard fermenter? Something big maybe?
[post="91306"][/post]​

Just read your thread title :)
You obviously have a 45+ litre fermenter that must take a non standard tap.

Of course, I can think of a much better way to go through 45 litres of beer in 12 hours...

sorry to hear about the loss... wearing a black armband as I write...

Ahh it happened to me too, but only 18 litres..... When cleaning my plutio gun i forgot to put a vital seal back.... Im still paying for it 9 months on. damn roaches.

Scotty

Makes my piddling 4 litres in the bottom of the ferm fridge seem insignificant. It still hurt.

condolences my friend .

i will lower the flag to half mast today and have a minute silence at 11 minutes past beer o'clock :blink:

you might end up with a few roaches now but no snails in SWAMBO's plants :D

RIP

DELBOY .

PZ :D

Poor DrewCarey82 has lost a heap too, although by different means.

There must be a curse going around :ph34r:

PZ.

Lucky it wasn't inside I guess... still that's a big waste of beer :(

There is a good side plants love beer, always put the watered down dregs from the fermenters on the garden..

muga said:
There is a good side plants love beer, always put the watered down dregs from the fermenters on the garden..
[post="91370"][/post]​

Can I just be Darren for a minute and suggest that if you have a pile of hops in the fermenter and a dog that you dont do that as dogs go for the sweet beer and the hops are toxic to them.

jeeez, I was crying over loosing 8 ltr of wort because my boiler was not quite big enuff : :eek:

real sorry about the loss :(

My solution parts arrived today...shouldn't happen again :)

problemsolved7qx.jpg

Oh, and the inside washer has tabs on it...it looks deformed in the pic, but it's just the shape of the washer :D

PZ.

Hey F'b

A terrible loss there... :( :(

I note that the vessel pictured is your fermenter.

What temp does the area around the tap get to??

My experience with hydraulic oil systems that I have worked with has taught me that if the o rings get heated above 70 deg, they go hard & deteriorate fairly rapidly.

Yeah, it is a fermenter (now :ph34r: ), so the temps don't even get near 30C, hence no such probs with heat.

Just needed a better fitting setup...I must say I'm very happy with what I have now and can't wait 'till next week so I can throw a brew into her :super:

PZ.

B) Roll on next week & good luck for the next brew :beer:

Back