How To Deal With Oats In A Extract/partial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oatlands Brewer

Reaction score
I want to do a extract/partial for a oatmeal stout,

Ive done heaps of "steaping" of spec grains, but never partials and im reading that oats need to be.
Whats the difference?

Was thinking of doing the following recipe i made up:

1 tin coopers dark lme
1kg ldme
1kg dex
200g rolled oats
100g choc malt

and using s-04

The only reference i can find for hops is East Kent Golding to about 40-50 ibu's

So.. how do i do it

Cheers

Adam

I've never done it myself but I believe you are supposed to do a mash with oats. Meaning you will have to add some other malt that needs mashingwhich has the required enzymes and keep it at a steady mashing temperature with the oats to convert the starches to sugars. <--- some of that is probably wrong though, as I've never done it before.
I've also read of people just steeping rolled oats in there extract/kit brews and the resulting brews were fine. I know some people will disagree with it because it leaves starches in the beer, but almost everyone I heard from who has done it has been happy with the results. And even one book that I have (Clone Brews) has a recipe which suggests to just steep the oats with other specialty grains.

I don't suppose you can see the starch haze in a stout. :wacko:

I was going to add quick oats to a K&K stout and posed the same question and passed onto the too difficult pile as I didn't have any base malt to do a mini mash.

You don't need to get a heap of base malt, for 200g of oats then 500g of a good diastatic malt such as Barrett Burston or JW trad ale will convert that quantity just fine. Just mix with hot water in a big tupperware or ice cream bucket and hold at around 65 for an hour (in an esky water bath for example). The enzymes in the malt will nuke the oatmeal as well as the starches in the malt itself. Then drain either through a kitchen strainer into a stockpot, or use a grain bag to begin with. Rinse (sparge) a couple of times and boil the resulting liquid with the hops.

Thank guys

ill add some base malt to the shopping list.

Bribie, any idea what 500g of base malt will add in terms of OG..the extract spreadsheet i use (the one of here)
dosnt seem to handle base malts

Cheers
Adam

Depending on your batch size,and the origins of your malt (different extract potential),and your mash efficiency you should get about an extra 5 gravity points. According to Pro mash ,your original recipe,@23lts,and 65% efficiency,will give an O.G of 1058.With 500g of pale ale malt,1063 O.G :icon_cheers:

Top stuff Toper.....

See what i did there...Haw Haw haw

Sorry couldnt resist being a knob end :unsure:

fwiw another option could be to use dry oat malt extract. However I'm not sure if it would suitable as a replacement for the actual oats, or in addition to them as a substitute for the ldme.

fwiw another option could be to use dry oat malt extract. However I'm not sure if it would suitable as a replacement for the actual oats, or in addition to them as a substitute for the ldme.

I would think it is used like any other malt extract and would save all the bother of buying base malt and mashing with oat cereals.

BTW Uncle Tobys Quick Oats Creamy Honey flavour are delicious 90 seconds in the microwave.

I noticed dry oat extract available from Craft Brewer for one Linky.

this is what i'd do

Thank guys

ill add some base malt to the shopping list.

Bribie, any idea what 500g of base malt will add in terms of OG..the extract spreadsheet i use (the one of here)
dosnt seem to handle base malts

Cheers
Adam

Hi Adam

You can add a Base malt to the spreadsheet. On the MAIN worksheet go to cell O136 (or next free cell on grains list) Add Ale Malt 6 and 1.020 for the 3 columns.

You could also add Flaked Oats (don't know whether there is a difference between flaked and rolled) Add Flaked Oats 2 and 1.019 for the 3 columns.

To do others like this you need the grain name, its EBC value and its potential, enter this info on the grains worksheet and copy the formulas into columns E and G, grains use 60% efficiency and adjuncts 100%.

cheers

Ian

Back