How To Calculate Potential Sg Of Fruit Juice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelinz

Reaction score
Hi guys, i am doing a bit of experimentation using fruit juice and want to calculate the potential sg.

As an example if I have 1 litre of preservative free Orange juice (containing 9.1gm of sugar according to the bottle) and add it to my wort what will my OG be and what will the effect of this be on the FG? I assume that the sugar component will be 100% fermentable, but will there be non fermentables in the OJ that will affect my FG???

I'm using Beer smith to calculate my recipe which asks for potential SG, any ideas?

rgds mike

you can choose sugar is an ingredient, id try just choosing how much sugar is added with the juice. so if its 9.1g per 100ml or whatever, then in a 3L bottle there'll be like 273g or so, so go into beersmith and add 273g of sugar to your recipe to see the gravity estimate. FG I'm not sure of. A dodgy website I found reckons that per 100g oranges typically have 2.5/2.2/3.7 grams of glucose/fructose/sucrose respectively. Not sure if thats measured from an entire minced orange or just the bit you each or what, but it indicates most of the sugars are glucose and sucrose which we know to be highly fermentable. I don't have a clue if fructose is, I'm sure someone here does though.

I got an addon with a bunch of fruits for my beersmith and it lists oranges as a potential of 1.006.

Orange juice in a beer? Good luck with that.

Beersmith lets you add fruits as an adjunct if you download the appropriate file (this one). A google search on this site for "fruits.bsm" will probably find the rest of the info. Have a guess at the appropriate amount of fruit to get the amount of juice you have.

Oj will be horrible in a beer. Try some rind, as per Hoegarden, if you're after a hint of orange.

I worked out the relative SG for a few cider batches by looking up the 'Sugar per 100ml' stat on the back of the bottle, as sammus said. Pretty easy stuff, just remember that it'll ferment almost right out...unlike malt.

Cheers - boingk

Latest posts

Back