how to brew soft drink?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vittorio

Reaction score
ey everyone, i was wondering if anyone know anything about how to brew soft drinks? I wouldnt mind making a cola or two :)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+make+soft+drink+&oq=make+soft+dr&gs_l=youtube.3.0.0i5l2.77.2160.0.3258.8.7.0.1.1.0.197.1091.1j6.7.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.lTy4SiUw1cc

or buy one of these

sodastream.jpg

sweet bro, if anyone else has a few recipes i wouldn't mind reading them :)

The difference between a soft drink and a hard drink is the fermentation time.

With a soft drink you're essentially starting the fermentation process in the bottle, then cutting it short with refrigeration or pasteurisation when the level of carbonation is correct.

With a hard drink you're allowing the fermentation process to complete which increases the alcohol content, then bottling with a small amount of additional sugar to create carbonation.

I'm guessing any of the recipes on here or anywhere on the net for ginger beer, lemonade or root beer/sars would work, but bear in mind that people add sugar into their brews to provide food for the yeast, so if you're only planning a short fermentation for a non-alcoholic soft drink you won't need nearly as much sugar added.

sweet, you wouldnt know a basic soft drink brew recipe which could point me in the right direction on learning how to make them?

Was a little worried about the "real sassafras is carcinogenic" as I've made home made sarsaparilla using sassafras bark. Then I realised that american sassafras is different to Tasmanian sassafras.

I'll have a look at home for the recipe I used for the sarsaparilla and I'll post it. It was quite interesting.

Not For Horses said:
Was a little worried about the "real sassafras is carcinogenic" as I've made home made sarsaparilla using sassafras bark. Then I realised that american sassafras is different to Tasmanian sassafras.
Let's quietly ignore the fact that alcohol is a known human carcinogen.

Everything is okay.

bum said:
Let's quietly ignore the fact that alcohol is a known human carcinogen.

Everything is okay.
If you believe all of the recent "studies", what isn't these days?

By "studies" do you mean "lalalalalalaI'mnotlisteninglalalala"?

"A recent study has shown that <substance A> has been shown to cause cancer in moderate amounts."

...1 year later...

"A recent study has shown that <substance A> has been shown to be beneficial to your health in moderate amounts."

Instead of generalising, show me one instance of that having ever happened outside of TV current affairs programs. You know, cite some actual "studies".

Alcohol is undeniably, irrefutably carcinogenic.

bum said:
Not denying that for a minute, although "studies have shown alcohol to be beneficial to your health in moderate amounts."

No real studies mate, just shit in the papers/news. Just winding you up. :)

bum said:
Instead of generalising, show me one instance of that having ever happened outside of TV current affairs programs. You know, cite some actual "studies".

Not carcinogenic, but damaging cholesterol on the same principle....

The Egg.

Hazardous one day, healthy the next.

I strongly suspect that also falls into the "popular" science category rather than the actual.

Like the whole aluminium/Alzheimer's thing. Started with "science" from a kitchenware manufacturer (didn't make ali stuff, funnily enough) some time in the late 70s (as I recall). Was debunked by actual science almost immediately but for some reason it is still accepted as fact by many. I don't think any reputable source ever said to stop eating eggs but, yeah, it was a widely held belief. Probably still is.

Plenty of doctors, heart foundation, diabetes australia ect is where i got the info from a few years ago. Now they are saying the opposite.

Latest posts

Back