How Old Is Your Oldest Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk75

Reaction score
Well I was @ the folks last night and went to the fridge to get myself a beer, unfortunately my Dad doesn't drink HB and so there is a limited choice, Hahn Lite or Crowny's, however it's free so I don't complain :D ...anyway on inspecting the fridge's contents something caught my eye - a cooper's PET bottle. First of all I thought it must have been given to Dad from one of his mates but only one of his mates brews his own and I know he wouldn't give any to Dad as he too knows Dad wouldn't drink it so then I'm thinking surely this can't be from my first brew(I was given a cooper's brew kit last year for my b'day) and so I went and asked Mum and Dad about it and they were certain that I had brought it over!
So I craked it open, smelt it...smells ok, poured it into a glass and it was beautifully carbed and absolutely crystal clear. Now I'm no beer connosouir(sp?) just yet but it was a bloody great beer, not to mention the sweet taste of it being my own beer too B) .

I wonder, how long people have firstly been able to keep their beer for any period of time(without drinking it) and was it any good?

I opened a bottle of extract IPA i made before i started AG. It was marked 9/9/5 so im assuming 9/9/2005.

Tatsed almost just as good as my latest AG's. crystal clear and beautifully carb'd.

Well I was @ the folks last night and went to the fridge to get myself a beer, unfortunately my Dad doesn't drink HB and so there is a limited choice, Hahn Lite or Crowny's, however it's free so I don't complain :D ...anyway on inspecting the fridge's contents something caught my eye - a cooper's PET bottle. First of all I thought it must have been given to Dad from one of his mates but only one of his mates brews his own and I know he wouldn't give any to Dad as he too knows Dad wouldn't drink it so then I'm thinking surely this can't be from my first brew(I was given a cooper's brew kit last year for my b'day) and so I went and asked Mum and Dad about it and they were certain that I had brought it over!
So I craked it open, smelt it...smells ok, poured it into a glass and it was beautifully carbed and absolutely crystal clear. Now I'm no beer connosouir(sp?) just yet but it was a bloody great beer, not to mention the sweet taste of it being my own beer too B) .

I wonder, how long people have firstly been able to keep their beer for any period of time(without drinking it) and was it any good?

I am hiding a batch of extract stout that I made 23 months ago and drink a bottle every month,every time im surprised and happy and proud!

4 months to go and there gone,

cheers amita

have a few tallies left of a honey ale I brewed October 06.

Not that impressive I know, but still worth a mention

About 18 months is the longest mine have gone.
I've tried to put aside bottles from some batches, particularly belgians and 'bigger' beers, after having a similar experience.
Took a few bottles to my folks place, found them in the "cellar" with the wines about a year later.
An ESB, a bock and a porter...

That's good news that you find your very first brew tasty. You must have done everything right. Many people find that after learning more about beer and brewing, their first few do have shortcomings.

Correct storage does have a huge impact on your brews. Cold and dark is perfect. If it has sat in your dad's fridge since you gave it to him, it has been cold conditioning.

You will find plenty of AG brewers will have some strong ales tucked away that will be over five years old. These styles develop with long term storage, whereas most other styles are better fresh.

I still have a king brown of my second or third kit brew I ever did. I think that was around 2001. Believe me it hasn't aged well. It obviously wasn't that good to begin with, or I'd have drunk all the bottles!

About 5 or 6 of those bottles moved house with me. Twice. Every so often I'd open one, smell the vegemite, pour a taster and tip the rest down the sink. Euugghh... Just one left to go now -_-

Better result than my first brew! It was just done as-per-instructions using a certain maufacturers Draught and a kilo of corn syrup, both included with the fermenter setup-kit. Bleh :icon_drool2:

Probably my record for storage so far is a paltry 5 months [Cascade Chocolate-Mahogony Honey-Porter, was excellent!], mainly because I started brewing in March and did so to make all of my beer until the odd six-pack in the last few weeks. With weekly university drinking games and bar nights, I couldn't hang onto much past the 2~3 month mark!

I swear, the worst part about brewing your own is that you're always disappointed when you get to the bar.

Cheers - boingk

I presently have about 90 bottles of a barleywine brewed in August 2006. I just brewed a Russian Imperial Stout to lay down as well. The oldest beer I have seen is a RIS that an acquaintance brewed when his son was 8 or 9, to be shared with his son when he turned 18. I tasted it when it was 6 or 7 years old. I plan to do the same sort of thing for my daughters.

I made a toucan black (Tooheys Draught & Coopers Stout) over two years ago which were pretty ordinary. Went to throw them out last July - tasted one at shed room temp (about 10C) and thought - hello - these taste okay. Had a test taste again last night actually - a bit over carbed after sitting in the shed for two summers, but otherwise still a quite reasonable porter. Nothing to brag about, but very drinkable none the less. Hopefully will still be good in winter (saturday night football, black beer of any sort .. if only the Saints can win something ... :( )

I have a clear glass longneck of a Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale that I made in Aug '06, for my daughter's birth. Planning on keeping it for her 18th birthday.

I'll make sure I've got some backups, cos I reckon it'll taste like crap! :lol:

I didn't mention my b'day is in November so the beer was about 12 months old. I'm now going to put a few bottles from each brew I do away(cellared) for as long as I can keep them and as a few have said try them over a number of months.

The longest I left a beer for was approx 2 years which tasted quite good when I eventually got around to drinking it.

I try to let them age I really do! . . . only bottle whats left over after kegging, most are sacrificed in the name of quality control.

I've got some bottles of barleywine getting on to 8 years old. Not really tasting the best these days though.

Warren -

i found an old K&K that must be 3 years old now... kind of tastes like olives.....

what time is it now ?

they don't last very long around here........

I have about 6 Old Bawdy barley wine from Pike Brewing Company, bottled in 1996. I have a collection of my own barley wines brewed around 95-96, too. They've been stored sealed in a box in a cool basement since then. I have a feeling I have some APA's stored away, too. Likely won't touch those, but the barley wine.. hmmm, would have to find the appropriate occasion to crack them <_< . Maybe a reunion with some of the guys I brewed with back then, who are familiar with the Old Bawdy and would appreciate it.

reVox

Thread reminds me.

I have a bottle of Coonawarra 2002 i should drink. Maybe roast this sunday.

I reckon we should run out right now and each pickup a 4-pack of Thomas Hardy's Ale

Shelve it and revisit this thread in 10 years time for tasting comparison :icon_cheers:

reVox

Back