How Not To Use A Filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trev

Reaction score
So, here I am with my Ross-Inspired filter. I only use it infrequently, when the beer needs it for presentation or I've managed to make far too much haze.

I was going to filter just one beer I had in the fridge, but what the heck - If I'm going to all the trouble of sanitising it, charging it with CO2 etc I might as well make full use of it.

I had 3 kegs in the conditioning fridge, a Koelsch, Pilsner and an APA so I thought I might as well do all three.

I fire up the filter, sanitise, run it dry and fill with CO2 and filter the Koelsch, not a problem. Next was the Pilsner, again not a problem and it's so much easier to do more than just one keg.

Last cab off the rank was the APA, and again everything went through well.

So, a few days later I try themafter carbonating the kegs.

The Koelsch is great, clear, crisp and a damn nice drop.

The Pilsner likewise.

The APA is as cloudy as a tropical rainstorm - WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, likely scenario is that for the 3rd keg I managed to swap the 'IN' and the 'OUT' on my filter and backwashed the previous 2 beers into the APA.

Anyone for an extremely cloudy APA :(

Trev

Poor bugger. Looks like you're setting the filter up again!

Trev would you mind posting a picture of how you have it set up I am in the process of building one and want to see how you connect to the housing ? :)

Pumpy

Trev,

you sure it's yeast?

Try warming a glass in the microwave & seeing if it clears at all.
I've had some shocking results with MO chill haze in recent months, sometimes it is like mud water literally. - A combination of polyclar & filtering will bring it bright.

cheers Ross

Ross,

I wish it were chill haze - I tried that first :D

Pumpy,

I've just got NPT nipplesbarbs into the (CLEARLY MARKED) 'in' and 'out' ports. One metre or so of beer line from each and terminated on a Liquid Disconnect.

No camera to hand but I'm sure Ross or I can bore you with the details on Saturday.

Trev

Trev said:
Ross,

I wish it were chill haze - I tried that first :D

Pumpy,

I've just got NPT nipplesbarbs into the (CLEARLY MARKED) 'in' and 'out' ports. One metre or so of beer line from each and terminated on a Liquid Disconnect.

No camera to hand but I'm sure Ross or I can bore you with the details on Saturday.

Trev
[post="121683"][/post]​

Oh well - just run it through again - It'll lose a little carbonation but will filter fine...

Cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back