• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

How Much Is A Cub Keg Worth?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyPaul

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I just bought myself a nice little fisher and paykel bar fridge to use as a kegerator (already has holes drilled for the purpose) The fridge was a bargain at $51.

The bigger bargain was the CUB keg the guy gave me with it.

It is too big for the fridge - so I though I will flog it to get myself a cornelius keg that will fit.

Does anyone know how much I should sell it for - or even better, does someone want to make an offer?

Ideallly I will swap it for a corny keg if anyone is interested.

you cant really sell it because they're illegal to have as cub own it

"cant really"?

does that mean i could swap it for a corny if someone was interested

I assume you have paperwork that says the bloke you got it off bought it legally?

ok ill say you definatelly cant then, it is illegal for you to have it.
no one would swap it for a corny because even if they swap one with you they still wont own the cub keg.

"cant really"?

does that mean i could swap it for a corny if someone was interested

Maybe but not publicly. Illegal to own, not generally discussed here due to that.

No-one's going to judge you ethically/morally but keep it under your hat so to speak.

It's like milk trays and bread trays stay the property of the company.

It's like milk trays and bread trays stay the property of the company.

MMmm,,, then I might just get the solicitor to send the company a letter of demand for storage. They left bread crates at a property I own, been there for years.

:lol:

Screwy

Crates, crates, yes that's the word I was looking for. I was thinking "cubes" "boxes" ??? I think I'm getting that Oldtimers disease they talk about. :rolleyes:

so what appeared to be a bargaing turn out to be a lump of steel that now sits in my garage - I dont own it - and I cant sell it.

Great - what a bargain.

As Manticle said - best to keep it under my hat.

Oh well - if anyone want to help me clear out undr my hat...let me know

Thanks guys

I suggest u return it cub rather than keep it as a brew rig vessel for when u go all grain....

That would be the responsible thing to do.

CUB will probably be quite appreciative too.

as a swap it is worthless,anyone can "aquire" one for nought. but if you are still doing extracts a grinder and some time and you have a good biab vessel.remember its only illegal if you they catch you. :ph34r:

out of interest.

how long does commercial beer stay good for in a untapped keg? (full keg)

does it need to stay in a fridge or can it be left out?

so what appeared to be a bargaing turn out to be a lump of steel that now sits in my garage - I dont own it - and I cant sell it.

Great - what a bargain.

As Manticle said - best to keep it under my hat.

Oh well - if anyone want to help me clear out undr my hat...let me know

Thanks guys

There's plenty of people always looking for kegs like yours to make into 50L pots and mash-tuns around these parts, I'm sure you'll probably get some enquiries as a result of this thread. Don't have an opinion on what you do, just don't put it on ebay or it will be removed. Seen about 7 this year get taken down from ebay - all with clear CUB/Tooheys markings on them in the photos.

What the guys say is 100% correct. If it has the CUB stamp, they have first dibs on it. CUB take their decommissioned kegs to a scrap metal dealer in West Vic and won't sell them to brewers due to the health & safety risks - I actually tried (they don't want to be sued if the things malfunction, and most don't believe that brewers won't want to use them as a pressure vessel) hence the reason it's impossible to buy them legitimately - unless you go to a place like kegking - one of the few places selling 50L kegs with legit paperwork - and those ones retail for around $120-$150 but are shiny and new. The 'blank no-name' or 'European' 50L ebay kegs I've seen sell go for between $45-$90 mostly depending on condition.

As for the advice about returning it to the brewery, call them first and they should pick it up. Don't waste your petrol bill otherwise. I worked for a company that had one in the social club bar that was old (filled with old beer) and we tried to get CUB to take it back and they refused. They said it wasn't worth their while picking up just one keg - and we were in a CBD location. So the idea is good in theory but may not work in practice unless you check first.

One option also is you could check with them, and if they refuse to get it - then I can't see how it can't be rightfully yours as long as you document the conversation and who you spoke to.

Cheers,

Hopper.

Back