How much grain in the malt pipe - crushed grain packing density?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
Hi Gents.

I'm trying to work out if I can use my urn to do a 15 l batch. I have water displacement figures but I need to know the bulk packing density of grain.

In effect how much dose 1litre of grain weigh?

I know the maximum size of malt pipe I can fit in to the urn (about 7.8 litres between the filters) and I need to work out how many kg of grain I can fit into it.

I'd like to brew up to 5% ABV, more if possible.

Many Thanks. Aamcle

if ya want good stuff wait or the answer if ya dont get a coopers can and sugar the begeibers out of it :)

It's 19l Burco, just about the biggest malt pipe I can get in it has a volume between filters of 7.8l.

I don't think the water volume is going to be an issue, I can cheat and add bit in the FV even if I loose a little efficiency.

I've done what calcs I can based on the Nextgen thread and my current worry is can I actualy fit enough grain into the malt tube.

Atb. Alan

I use a 19L bigw pot as my pipe and I have put in as much as 5.6kg. I could probably add some more but hesitate to do so.
If my maths is correct then I would estimate about 2.3kg

I have the same size malt pipe and it really hits the limit at 2.6kg, my extraction efficiency drops to about 70% at that amount of grain, at 2kg my efficiency is above 80%. You want to keep the liquor to grist ratio above 2.3l/kg so to work that out it would be:

max grain bill (Kg) = malt pipe vol (l) / (liquor to grist ratio + grain displacement)

= 7.8l /(2.3 + 0.65)
= 2.6 kg of grain

as I said I find this amount of grain to be the max I can fit before I start to have problems like fountains. I run a 11l batch size (10l into the fermenter) if you want a bigger batch then either get a bigger malt pipe or use some DME

cheers steve

Latest posts

Back