How Much Grain For Stove Top Biab?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigo

Reaction score
how much grain and hops would i need to do a stove top biab in a 19l pot for dr smurtos golden ale do i just halve his recipe?

how much grain and hops would i need to do a stove top biab in a 19l pot for dr smurtos golden ale do i just halve his recipe?

Download brewmate...its helped me heaps in my transition into BIAB.

I am about to brew this recipe following the 9Lt stove top BIAB as per Nicks thread. Using brewmate, input the recipe based on original post from the recipeDB and then scale down to the correct size.

I could post my recipe for it, but definitely helps to use a program such as Brewmate...learning on the way

Good luck and hope it all goes well

Salt

thats exactly what I did first time I tried a stove top...Only ended up with about 8L in fermenter which was disappointing but I think it is a great way to familiarise yourself with the process. Im glad I did it as it taught me the basic principles of AG. Now Im stil using the 19L pot on stove top but aim for a total grain bill of 4-4.5kg, which yields about 17-18L in the fermenter...But involves a couple of extra steps and I would recommend simply following Nick JD's guide for your first go....using half the good Dr's ingredients to make a delicious beer!

I've just been helping another brewer via PM on this same subject: recipe scaling.

With high gravity stovetop brewing in a small 19L pot the key figure you are concerned with is the amount of wort you want in your fermenter at OG.

That's the number you use to calculate your scaling.

If your stovetop system can pump out 16L of 1.050 in the fermenter and the recipe you're interested in is 55L, then:

Your recipe needs to be 16/55ths the size, or about a quarter, but let's get the exact number by using a calculator.

16/55 = 0.29. This is your scaling factor. All the ingredients need to be multiplied by 0.29.

Say the original recipe had 11kg of BB Ale? Multiply 0.29 by 11 and you'll get 3.19kg of base grain for your 16L recipe.

Do the same for all the ingredients. It's what brewing software does automatically, but it's helpful to understand the scaling process.

Latest posts

Back