How Low Can Us05 Go

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamiefbacon

Reaction score
I've got a fwk Korana going in ferment fridge at 12 degrees and also have my second Biab
Beer in there as well pitched with us05 and was wondering if it will still ferment at that low
A temp?

I've got a fwk Korana going in ferment fridge at 12 degrees and also have my second Biab
Beer in there as well pitched with us05 and was wondering if it will still ferment at that low
A temp?

We've had some cooler nights here and I've had US-05 on the cook for 10 days. I'll test it in a couple, and that'll determine. Average temp under my house atm has been well below 20, and apparently some nights have been down to 14-15 degrees. There is a massive yeast cake at the bottom of my fermenter and krausen ring looks normal, so I'm thinking that it might be able to go lower than recommended, however don't take that as gospel - I haven't even tested it yet.

I would really like to hear others experiences because I've been googling about it and the best I could come up with is that some have had it down to 16 degrees C, but sketchy info at best.

Goomba

ive read people have used it as low as 15 (recommended temps from manuf. are 15-24 {59-75f})

Personally I do the bulk of fermantation at 16 (then ramp up slowly after high krausen) but have not tried lower than that.

Yob

I`ve had strong ferments with that yeast at 16*, and had it work at 14, tho much slower.
I reckon you`d be pushing your luck at 12*.

An experienced brewer told me that it will go to 15 but at that rate you should use 2 packets. This will give you a pseudo lager.

Latest posts

Back