How Long Is Too Long?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirty mac

Reaction score
Hey guys. I know this is a controversial issue but I've got an IPA on at the moment. It took about 7 days to Ferment out and I let it sit for a further 2 weeks on yeast cake(20-22C). I was all prepared to bottle (last Sat 28/10) but just couldn't find time. I've got a lager in CC at the moment at 2C so I put it in there with it. I am planning to bottle this Sat.
Have I left it too long and will I get nasty flavours off the yeast cake or will this low temp stop any of that? (I did want a cloudy beer but I guess that won't happen now)

My previous ales have all sat on yeast cake for 2 weeks after PF at about 20C and have never had any probs.
What flavours should I expect if its been too long??

Cheers.
DM.

It should be fine. If there's any autolysis (unlikely) you'll definitely know before you taste the beer.

4 weeks should be OK, especially since you dropped the temp. I wouldn't leave it much longer though.

I'd say bottle it as soon as you can, but that's only really because of the 'received wisdom' that autolysis can happen.

I've seen people saying they'd never leave it more than two weeks, but I've also seen plenty of people who have had beer sitting in the primary for several months with no problems occuring at all. Personally I've done two which have sat in primary for over six weeks (I believe one made it past two months, actually) and in neither case were there any issues whatsoever.

It's not something I'd do by choice though, as I simply don't want to risk it, but I think it's fair to say that it generally takes quite a bit of time for it to happen.

Cheers,

Jens-Kristian

Latest posts

Back