How Do You Present Your Homebrew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
Well how proud are you at presenting your beer?

do you serve your homebrew.

In a Chilled glass .
with a nice coaster.
Glass rinsed with cold water.
at the correct temperature.
in a perfectly formed correct glass to style'
with a slice of lemon.
with a cracker (no not the French lady next door)
In a big glass or a sampler glass .
will just the right amount of head .
with some foam just sliding down the side of the glass.

Or do you just slop it up!!!!

Do you have a home brew etiquette when serving you creation ?

Pumpy :)

Last nights jug and pot/middy cleaned every morning with stinking hot tap water, drained and refrigerated ready for the next. A couple of spare glasses kept in the freezer for visitors.

Always a cold glass (not always to style, but depends on the occassion)
I always strive for good head (doesnt everyone, it just makes the beer look good)
Always seek some feedback (unless the drinker doesn't know what good beer is :) )
Keep it simple.

I'm just about over explaining to people that it is the result of my own sweat and toil.

Most of my friends know I am a Craft Brewer (and a Wanker) so I do not have to preface the presentation of my beer to them.

I just pour it like any other beer and they make the appropriate noises before asking for more.

It goes into my Ikea Test glasses (pilsner style, basically) however it gets in there and nobody complains...

Unless it is one of The Belgians, in which case I usually serve it in wine glasses because that is the closest I have to a goblet...

Edit: A protestation that I *am not* a wanker... Okay, I am... *sigh*

Where's the poll, Pumpy? :)

They can look around for their own glass (the loungeroom floor is quite a good spot to start), head to the kitchen, wash it how they like. The tap is out the backyard, pour it yourself!

edit: In fact, I would almost discourage the use of some glasses depending on the guest! In the last couple of months I have lost about a dozen prized drinking glasses. Thinks like a pair of those Schofferhofer glasses, large Hofbrau stein. A 1.2ltr simpsons glass that I got to use once, and my favourite Chimay glass, you know the ones.

They can look around for their own glass (the loungeroom floor is quite a good spot to start), head to the kitchen, wash it how they like. The tap is out the backyard, pour it yourself!

Nice one. :lol:

Lemon in the glass for me. :(

Especially with stouts. :super:

Lemon? What on earth for?

I've never heard of that, except for Coronas. Keeps the flies out of your beer when your in Mexico right?

Flies help you when you're fishing. ;)

fishing.gif

Glasses washed in fresh hot water......... they wouldnt know detergant exists. Noone else in the house touches them. If dishes are being washed and they are dirty on the sink they get placed out of the way. special tea towl kept away from any dish drying activity and all now death will result from use on anything but my glasses :p

glasses are kept cold on the top shelf of the keg fridge. Most beers on tap are ones to be drank cold and i do enjoy a cold beer.

If its a bitter, porter, ect it goes into a proper pint glass, glass at room temp.

I have english pint glasses, a few different wheat beer glasses, 1 liter oktoberfect steins, and a very old hand blown westminster abbey goblet (excuse spelling)

I think the glass the beer is presented in makes a lot of diference to the enjoyment of the beer.

If you went to a micro and got served a weizen in a schooner glass or a handled pot glass you would be thinking......... where is my 500ml tall glass?

I know i went to a pub for lunch for friends. They had Guinness on tap Nd i excitedly ordered a pint!

"We only do scooners mate"

Well........... my heart sank!

I had a schooner of guinness and it was bloody nice............ but it wasnt a pint! :angry:

I think presentation plays a big roll in the enjoyment of a beer. If it wasnt, we would all be drinking out of the one shaped and sized glass wouldnt we!

cheers

I tend to dish it out in either middie or schooner glasses, depends on who's got what. I tend to drink from a pewter stein that has a glass bottom - excllent find at the local second hand store! Plus, it takes two longnecks to fill both it and my 1L glass jug. Ahh....love it...

If its mass consumption I'm after, I'll usually go for my larger stein. It is supposed to hold a litre but I'd be reckoning on around 1.25-1.3L. Pour in a longy, drink for a while, then top to the top once its neared the bottom. Gets a few laughs and inquiries from the other dorm residents!

And yes, I always try and get a good head on the beer....just doesn't do it justice if its horrible and flat looking.

Failing glasses, I'll happily drink out of the bottle now I've changed to glass for the most part and rack most brews.

Tony - Yeah, the hot water works a treat! I tend to not bother drying them as aformentioned dormies tend to borrow my tea towel...so they air-dry instead which seems to work well.

I have one or two friends who serve their beer in plastic 'glasses' at parties, etc. I am slowly turning them around...

I have a fair collection of beer glassware and I'll try to serve the beer in the "correct" glass for the style, or as close as I have. Every now and again I might chill a glass if I'm serving a pilsner or something and I'm a bit suspect on how well I've chilled the beer... but usually a rinse off under the cold tap is the most I would do.

I try to serve at an appropriate temperature for style - mostly prefer my beers warmer than the average camper and for bigger ales etc, calling them cold at all would be a stretch. Cool perhaps. But... that said, if I am storing a particular beer in my fridge, I will just get two of them out, drink the first one too cold and get the second one when its warmed up.

Coasters shit me and I never use them if I can help it. Glasses all go in the dishwasher and it doesn't seem to make any difference to them.

I work hard on my beer... I want it to at least look good. Maybe when I start making beers that actually taste good I will care less about how it looks.

TB

Now for starters i'm K+K at the moment, so most of you AG'ers would probably say i might as well serve it in a gumboot :icon_vomit:
So i've got to make my beer as attractive as possible hence looking after the glasses, Not using detergent is definately a myth as long as you wash them properly, I usually once a week wash my beer glasses in hot water with one drop of detergent in each and give em a good scrub with a mag wheel brush (dedicated beer glass brush no brake dust ere) then give em a good rinse with hot water to get rid of all detergent, then the most important part dry with a clean teatowel works a charm. When tasting any of my brews i use a beut Montieths beer glass i picked up from the AIBA in Melb a few years back, but when session drinking usually stick to the right glass for the right style or when i'm really pumped whip out my 1L Lowenbrau stein. Got about 8 Belgian beer goblets i use when i can afford the beers, the way i figure it if your spending the money on the beer you might as well drink out of the right glass. All Grain is calling me :beerbang:

A trip to the catering supply store saw me bring home half a dozen schooners and half a dozen pints. At less than $2 a glass.

Best move I made after losing a few of my prized glasses.

Ofcourse I still like belgians from my Duvel glass ware and wheats from my half litre schneider glasses.

most of my friends don't like my beer. but i still like to serve it up nicely to myself. my bottles are always label free and i think that makes a massive difference on what people think of your beer. Mostly i drink english (and sometimes american) style ales and there served in a pint glass, i have several, even one with the brewery name written on it, pretty cool :). belgians are served in a duval glass, wheats in one of several schofferhoffer glasses and lagers are served in a stemmed glass (not that i make many).

hot water in both bottles and glasses and air dryed on a rack (spills has half an orange bottle rack on his kitchen sink and thats something i'v been meaning to do as well but for now they go in the sink rack)

it's all about the beer. i don't mind being called a nerd :)

-Phill

Got a set of basic pilsner glasses + those goblet style ones for when we've got a big group of friends over.
If it's just a few mates, I'll pull out a special glass or two from my assorted collection.
No glass is "perfectly" matched at my place.

I have a bunch of Ikea specials for the troops, otherwise a few nice Pilsner glasses - don't have any belgium globlets though.

Also using the Celli taps, so I can get that perfect handle-to-the-rear head for any beer that lacks it (although EVERY beer I make has some wheat in it for head retention).

Chers -Mike

Latest posts

Back